Ford Automobiles banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I checked the vehicle for the recall and it did not apply. The Ford garage quoted $1,600 to replace the steering column. So far I have $100 in the one from the local junk yard. My only concern is whether I have to realign the lower assembly to match neutral wheel position since I do not know the wheel position of the vehicle in the junkyard where the part was removed. I assume the steering wheel in this car turns more than one rotation in each in direction so perhaps it does not matter.

·
Super Moderator
13,510 Posts
Sorry, I am not sure. I wish I knew more for you on this concern.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys! I just bought a steering column from a junkyard and replaced the lower half into my 2008 Ford Escape XLT 6 cylinder. Unfortunately after the replacement it seems 2 things have happened. 1) I’m occasionally getting tight steering when turning. The steering will work just fine when turning back the other direction, and if I continue to drive or turn off the car the steering will work just fine after turning the car back on. 2) I’m now hearing a strangle rattle when I hit some bumps while driving, one that wasn’t there before replacing the column. It sounds like it’s coming from the steering from the steering column or somewhere around the drivers size. Does anybody have any experience with this and can help me out?

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
Hi guys! I just bought a steering column from a junkyard and replaced the lower half into my 2008 Ford Escape XLT 6 cylinder. Unfortunately after the replacement it seems 2 things have happened. 1) I’m occasionally getting tight steering when turning. The steering will work just fine when turning back the other direction, and if I continue to drive or turn off the car the steering will work just fine after turning the car back on. 2) I’m now hearing a strangle rattle when I hit some bumps while driving, one that wasn’t there before replacing the column. It sounds like it’s coming from the steering from the steering column or somewhere around the drivers size. Does anybody have any experience with this and can help me out?
This may help you on the rathttp://www.fordforumsonline.com/threads/front-end-rattle-over-bumps-stabilizer-links.12513/tle

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid. Power steering died. Picked up 2011 steering column. Took it to a mechanic and he fought with it for 4 hours to get the old stuff out. Put the new in and told me that the computer in the new wheel doesn't want to play with the computer in the car. Also told me that old wheel shaft is slightly different than new shaft so it doesn't fit. Anyone have any ideas about that? Mechanic was obviously trying to replace entire steering column and not just lower, because he said new lower and old upper didn't fit.

·
Super Moderator
13,510 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

I would recommend in the used parts world to get parts that are the same and known to be working.

The second generation Escape Hybrid was introduced in 2008. However the 2009 got some significant changes. It is unclear to me if those changes included the power steering system. However the weight of the car changed so the power steering system may have changed to accommodate that weight increase.

There are interchange manuals most wrecking yards use. It is called a Hollander. That would be a good reference. For your 10 year old vehicle another source would be a Ford parts catalog. However an assembly like a steering column is not going to be listed. Only the individual parts. And that listing may only be available at a dealership.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many thanks to all that contributed to the thread.
I was able to complete the sensor replacement on my 2010 Hybrid and all is well.

You do not need to remove the steering wheel as other posters mentioned. remove the plastic shroud around the ignition. Then remove the two large bolts and the whole upper half of the steering column pulls out.
The hardest part is you are going to need a bad ass pair of spring clip removers. Getting the spring clip back in was quite a challenge but I persevered. :)
The Ford replacement part came with an alignment tool and very clear printed instructions.
Along with several you tube videos made the job easier.

I have attached a scan of the Ford instructions that came with the OEM part

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
i installed a new torque sensor i check every thing twice i think put back together it works but it is easier to turn to the left then turning to the right both are power assisted but left is much easier could it be the sensor is off a little if i had to could i take out and put back in or do i have to replace it

·
Super Moderator
13,510 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

I don't have the answer to your question. I would suspect there is an issue since the feeling is different from side to side. I have access to a 2010 Fusion with electric steering. It is the same from side to side.

Again welcome.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
3 Posts
i installed a new torque sensor i check every thing twice i think put back together it works but it is easier to turn to the left then turning to the right both are power assisted but left is much easier could it be the sensor is off a little if i had to could i take out and put back in or do i have to replace it
thanks for getting back to me

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The thing that concerns me about this type of DIY repair is that it affects the safe performance of your vehicle. I have read of repairs that were almost complete, that is not quite correct. I'm not a fan of anything to do with the airbag system being DIY. My years of collision repair experience didn't prepare me for the pitfalls of airbags. I don't think that u tube is the training ground for certification on airbags or electric power steering if it doesn't give you all the answers.
Just my opinion

·
Registered
1 Posts
I completed replacing the sensor (bought from Tasca) on my 2010 Escape LTD with 156K. The power steering assist fault appeared out of no where last week, despite the recall being performed almost three years ago. It does not come and go; power steering is completely gone. Additionally, there was/is no wild swings or shaking of the steering wheel.

After completing the replacement, it's like nothing was changed. I still have the same fault and conditions. The steering wheel remained in place upon applying power after the repair, so that also tells me that I performed the procedure correctly.

I have read that some people are having success changing out the lower steering column. For the people that did this repair, where is the divide point that is considered the lower portion? Also, does trim level matter when selecting a used column (XLT vs LTD, 2WD vs 4WD, 4cyl vs V6)?

For other people attempting the sensor replacement, here is what tools you will need: T45 Torx bit (T40 is usually the largest in a standard set), 5.5mm, 8mm, and 10mm sockets, snap ring pliers for a 4.5" diameter snap ring (standard 2" ones won't work), slim flathead, 90° pick (helps), 18" bungee cord or duct tape, jack stands (I got lucky and didn't need them).

If you have power seats, do not move your seat all the way back when starting, unless you're 6'3"+. I did, and it put me in some awkward positions while playing with the snap ring and sensor. I fell off the edge of the seat twice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the same thing, installed a used motor assembly I got from ebay but got a power assist fault on my display and had no power steering. Pulled it out and reinstalled my original motor while I try and return the used one I got on eBay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dennis what did you end up doing ?

I replaced my power steering torque sensor, and that didn’t solve the problem.

I then replaced the entire lower column of the power steering assembly, and still having the same issue.

Does anyone know how or where to buy the calibration software ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, I have a 2010 ford escape that lost electric power steering assist. I bought a used lower assembly on ebay. When I removed the upper assembly I made sure to have the wheels straight and steering wheel in locked position. I installed the the used lower assembly but I can not seem to get the upper assembly to slide into the lower assembly. From what I have found online (which is not much at all. Thank you for this forum) is that they should slide together pretty easily. Is there a way to tell how the splines are supposed to be lined up? Thank you for any advice you might be able to provide.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thinking about trying this with our 2011 Escape. Can't recall at the moment if it shook much before but the power steering would occasionally go out and restarting the vehicle would bring it back. Now though, once it starts up pretty much the second you try to turn the wheel, it jerks several degrees and then just so stiff. I can turn the wheel, but it takes a lot of force. Didn't know everyone's thoughts about trying to replace the sensor or if I may have bigger problems in store.

·
Super Moderator
13,510 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

You can install a sensor. And if the sensor is not bad you will need to do something different. I would diagnose the system first. A shop manual set will guide you on that.

Action

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok so I have a question I have a 2008 ford escape xlt V6 and my car cranks up just fine with no problem but my steering wheel hair doesn't turn at all I can go forward but I can't go left or right any ideas on what that might be

61 - 80 of 83 Posts