Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my '93 taurus quit while driving down the freeway. no stutter or bog, just shut off. battery is strong and turns over like gangbusters but no start. i pulled the coil wire out of the coil and found rust and corrosion. cleaned it up but no start. if i hold the end that plugs into the center of the dist. near a ground i get no spark to jump. both wires on the plug which brings 12v into the coil are hot with the key on and while the engine is turning over. at this point i'm thinking the coil is bad. i took the coil and wire off my other taurus (which i assume is ok because that car runs) same result. i have juice into the coil but get no spark to jump from the coil wire to the dist. any ideas/suggestions?? thanks

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
you said you replaced the coil with another one? are there any fuses that go to it?

wait, did you replace the wire too??

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I have a thread in the bronco section on how to check a coil with a digital volt meter

The problem could also be the pickup coil inside the distributor,

and I am not sure, but perhaps the Electronic Ignition Control Module that is mounted to the outside of the distributor.

I'd have to look up the proceedure, but with a test light you can check to see if those components are working. I think it is a matter of placing one lead of your test light to the bat side of the coil, and the other to the tach side. It should blink while cranking. If it doesn't blink the problem is probably one of the other items. I mentioned.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I believe your test procedure will work poppy.
Ground the test light on the Tan/Yellow wire, and probe the Red/LightGreen.
I would like to see the tester light up and pulse when cranking. This would indicate that the Ignition Control Module is supplying the pulsed ground, and the ignition switch and fuse are supplying the power.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
my '93 taurus quit while driving down the freeway. no stutter or bog, just shut off. battery is strong and turns over like gangbusters but no start. i pulled the coil wire out of the coil and found rust and corrosion. cleaned it up but no start. if i hold the end that plugs into the center of the dist. near a ground i get no spark to jump. both wires on the plug which brings 12v into the coil are hot with the key on and while the engine is turning over. at this point i'm thinking the coil is bad. i took the coil and wire off my other taurus (which i assume is ok because that car runs) same result. i have juice into the coil but get no spark to jump from the coil wire to the dist. any ideas/suggestions?? thanks
A common problem I have seen with the 3.0 OHV is that the distributor gear wears down. Pull the cap and have someone crank over the engine. Watch to see if the rotor turns.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts