Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
It’s taken almost 30 years but thanks to the Facebook algorithm that figured Ford folks across the world might have a shared interest and the generosity of a man I’ve never met in Kansas City, I now have an original AM/FM radio for my fathers Galaxie. This was the last piece of original equipment that was really needed, and among one of the most difficult tasks I’ve ever taken on. Trust me, the number of calls, scams, oh so close and not even close radios I tracked down pre-internet would make you question if Ford ever put an AM/FM radio in the 64. And don’t even get me started on the number of boxes I’ve opened up and had to return because someone wasn’t aware that Ford Radios didn’t come with that little “BowTie” symbol thingy on em.
But at last, the searching has paid off and now all I need to do is figure out how to test it (without installing it preferably), wire it ground it and install it properly, and lastly, how is that thing fused??
I’d prefer to do a bench test to get started, so any help is greatly appreciated.
By the way, did that radio have its own light internally, or was it lit with a weird bulb thing that inserted into it somewhere?

Thanks in advance, George.

Bag Rectangle Gas Bumper Wood
Communication Device Media player Radio Cassette deck Audio equipment
Electronic instrument Wood Audio equipment Gas Computer hardware
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle registration plate Bumper Wood
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Electronic instrument
Gas Electronic device Font Rectangle Auto part
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part
Hood Motor vehicle Grille Vehicle Bumper

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
On a personal note I have found fb sellers to be a rather poor bunch. And across multiple car lines.
And that is off topic

Your radio .. ahhh has been butchered.
And appears to be mono not stereo. (Not sure if stereo was available)

Electrically
There are 4 wires and the case that is a ground. The wires are:
One is power to the radio
One is illumination. Yes it has a single light internally that comes on with the head light circuit
Two wires are for speakers

Looks like the case mount is a wedged nut in the bottom of the case towards the rear. This also is the ground.
Plus there is an antenna hole

Observed issues, Besides the previously stated wire cut job
The push buttons have been spread. There may not be damage however I would question that
The top of the case has a squared hole. It appears another nut was in there.

Hopefully you have the rear mounting bracket. That radio chassis is rather heavy.

Action

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On a personal note I have found fb sellers to be a rather poor bunch. And across multiple car lines.
And that is off topic
I would have to agree with you regarding fb sellers. This actually just happened to be someone who had commented on a post of a classic car picture that led to him remembering he had an old radio he took out of his 64 a long time ago back when he wrecked it. He ripped it out when they dropped it off at the junkyard, thus the wires being a mess.
As for the number of wires, the car has only one speaker, middle of the dash. Let’s face it, the sound coming out of one cheap, paper, metal grill speaker was ad enough, why would anyone want to hear that crackle in stereo.
You mentioned the square hole on top of the case, that is where the mounting brace came down from above I believe, that held/supported the heavy radio. Again, same as the wiring being messed up due to how the radio was removed, I believe the same happened to the bracket.
Thank you for the info on the wiring. Do you or anyone else have any suggestions on how best to bench test? I appreciate it.
Thanks.

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
The thing I have done in the past is get a speaker, antenna and connect to a 12v source.
Then see what happens.

I believe the center speak grille comes out, It is held in by clips. Prying on the edge will pop it open. Just be careful of the instrument panel pad. It can be damaged if too much pressure is applied to the grille. And they are not low cost. if the speaker is removed you can see or access the top of the radio if that was installed.

Careful on connecting wires. Pretty sure the following is correct
Blue/red is illumination.
Yellow/red is power
The other two are speaker wires. The order of connection escapes me.

Action

Reactions: Fergge

·
Registered
885 Posts
I would have to agree with you regarding fb sellers. This actually just happened to be someone who had commented on a post of a classic car picture that led to him remembering he had an old radio he took out of his 64 a long time ago back when he wrecked it. He ripped it out when they dropped it off at the junkyard, thus the wires being a mess.
As for the number of wires, the car has only one speaker, middle of the dash. Let’s face it, the sound coming out of one cheap, paper, metal grill speaker was ad enough, why would anyone want to hear that crackle in stereo.
You mentioned the square hole on top of the case, that is where the mounting brace came down from above I believe, that held/supported the heavy radio. Again, same as the wiring being messed up due to how the radio was removed, I believe the same happened to the bracket.
Thank you for the info on the wiring. Do you or anyone else have any suggestions on how best to bench test? I appreciate it.
Thanks.
Hello Fergge,

Congratulations on finding an original AM-FM radio, that was a hurdle, believe me I know. Now for the other half of the battle, overhauling it.

A couple of things about old car radios (early transistorized). The cheap paper speaker was specially designed to be very efficient at turning electrical power into acoustic waves. Those old speakers were better than 100db per watt per meter. The reason for that is that the power output of old tube radios and early transistorize radios were only a few watts so they had to get as much bang for the buck as it were. New speakers (unless exotic) aren't very efficient and built to a cheap price point as power output is greatly increased even in stock radios.

Your radio is monaural, even the 1965-1966 Ford full size AM-FM radios are still monaural. I'm not sure about 1967, but the 1968 full size cars have AM-FM stereo.

A couple things you may find with your radio. First the electrolytic capacitors are probably either shorted, partially shorted or open by now. This might result in low audio or no audio. Another problem is your radio uses germanium transistors and not silicon. Germanium transistors get noisy as they age, there may be increased "hiss" in the audio as a result. You can replace them.

The last thing is silver mica capacitor problems in the I.F. transformers. This is a phenomenon occurring in lots of older radios (from table tops to automotive) from the 1950's through 1980's. These silver mica capacitors end up opening from silver migration over time and the selectivity and withcidentally sensitivity start to suffer. You may not get weaker stations, stations atop other stations and crackling in the audio or sudden shifting of FM radio stations on the dial or no stations at all.

All of these items are repairable, but it does take loads of time to overhaul the radio to like new condition, then of course it will need an electronic alignment with the necessary test equipment.

You can buy and download the schematics, parts list and alignment procedure for your radio. from Sams Photofacts. Sams Photofacts has the repair information on most electronic items sold in the U.S.A. from tele's to radios to CB's to reel to reel tape players.

Over the years I've collected all the Sams Photofacts Auto Radio books ( about 250) and have your radio data. There should be two dial lamps inside and the blue with red stripe will power those. The yellow with black stripe is the power to the radio. The radio case itself needs to be grounded. The green and black wire go to an 8 ohm speaker. You can plug the antenna in or just use a long wire on the centre antenna terminal.

This will test for basic functionality.

Cheers

·
Registered
79 Zephyr 2dr boxtop
8 Posts
My uncle has a '51 Merc and he ended up mounting the stock radio in the stock location.
Then he installed a late model radio in the glove compartment.
Kept the stock appearance but also could listen to music.
Maybe not the best option for everyone, but it did work effectively.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My uncle has a '51 Merc and he ended up mounting the stock radio in the stock location.
Then he installed a late model radio in the glove compartment.
Kept the stock appearance but also could listen to music.
Maybe not the best option for everyone, but it did work effectively.
Funny you should mention this concept Massacre. I actually had the exact same thought, but then my 20 year old son told me I needed to stop thinking like a 50 year old man and realize that I had the worlds greatest radio in the palm of my hand. You’d be amazed at the sound you can get from a cell phone & a $60 set of Bluetooth speakers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts