Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 Explorer and the moon/sunroof leaks a little, and the passenger side rear window, not the one in the door, leaks too. i know the side window bolts in, just wondering how difficult it is to do these two things.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
should have been a little more clear. How hard is it to unbolt the rear window and re-seal it in. also wondering about the sunroof. any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
623 Posts
The rear window should be easy.Its held in by 10mm size nuts.Be careful prying the window out.It should be pretty straight forward once you get it out.Tighten nuts evenly and do not overtighten or you will make very many little pieces.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I left my rear window in and just siliconed it so it wouldnt leak anymore, had to do this to the windshield too. This is not the first time I have heard of this issue.

For the sunroof you will have to drop the whole headliner for access to it. When the headliner is removed let a garden hose run across your sunroof so you can see where the leaks are easier.

·
Registered
623 Posts
most of the warranty leaks the drain hoses stop up or come off.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Before you go tearing things apart,check the source.For the side window,place a dollar bill between the glass and the weatherstrip,latch the window and pull on the dollar.there should be some drag when pulling.Do this at several locations.If the window is leaking from the rear section,remove the latch and add a shim between the latch and the body.This should tighten up the window.when done water test the glass with a garden hose to confirm the repair.

As for the sunroof.A sunroof is a controlled waterleak.No sunroof is water tight.They all let water in,thats the purpose of having 4 drains on the sunroof tub.With the sunroof open take a cup of water and slowly pour in each corner.You should see water leaking from behind the fron wheels and just infront of the rear wheels.If not check the drain hoses.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
The rear side Windows are non functional, Impossible to open them, they do not open, they are just like a windshield.

Before you go tearing things apart,check the source.For the side window,place a dollar bill between the glass and the weatherstrip,latch the window and pull on the dollar.there should be some drag when pulling.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
My sons Explorer 2 dr has side windows that open from the back seat.They pop open about an inch.If your talking the 1/4 glass,I agree they don't open.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts