Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that dont know. I have a problem with electricity and things electrical...SO with that in mind, dummy me tried to rewire my radio (it had constant power from privious owner). Well, long story short (considering i started doing this saturday) Radio speakers (rears only) now cut in and out, tach no longer works, AND the dash lights flicker.. OH YEA, radio gets REAL REAL HOT when on. (now i have a burned finger).:nonod:

:nono:SOMBODY PLEASE DONT LET ME BUTCHER ANOTHER ELECTRICAL ITEM AGAIN!

atleast i didnt fry myself like i did last time...

·
Registered
206 Posts
For those that dont know. I have a problem with electricity and things electrical...SO with that in mind, dummy me tried to rewire my radio (it had constant power from privious owner). Well, long story short (considering i started doing this saturday) Radio speakers (rears only) now cut in and out, tach no longer works, AND the dash lights flicker.. OH YEA, radio gets REAL REAL HOT when on. (now i have a burned finger).:nonod:

:nono:SOMBODY PLEASE DONT LET ME BUTCHER ANOTHER ELECTRICAL ITEM AGAIN!

atleast i didnt fry myself like i did last time...
Sounds like the previous owner did a number on the wiring....if it were my car, I would try to repair the harness, or get a new one and go buy one of those fancy adaptors that you can get at a stereo shop to plug into your factory harness....problem solved. Worst case senerio...than nice faimont could end up looking like a pile of charcoal.

·
Super Moderator
994 Posts
Sounds electricfying !!! Good luck on that, These cars never did have the best wire harness and fuse panels. I had a '79 with a gremlin in the wiring that I never could find. If I had planed on keeping the car I was going to go with a Ron Frances Wire kit. Not saying you need that ......but maybe ..

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i just redid the wiring completely by myself... ie. made my own harnesses, you gotta remember, i use to work on jets for the military. If i wasn't already saving up for the trip to MN, I'd go down and help you buddy! sorry...

·
Banned
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If i wasn't already saving up for the trip to MN, I'd go down and help you buddy! sorry...
Hrmm, but yet nothing is said about me bringing the car to you to fix hrmmm.....Oh yea, seems it's in the actuall harness. I pushed on some wires behind the fuze block (took me an hour to find the fuze block <joke>) but the tach came back on.. i think same issue is for the dash lights, remember this cluster is out of a mustang. But, Jonzo, if yer willing :devil: i wonder if i could suker you into rewiring the whole cluster (i want to do custom guages like Fastfarmers). Oh and the rear speakers cut out because i used crappy connectors. Now i did the old fashioned twist N tape way.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
if you think you can trust the electrical...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
my guess is that the idiot before you wired the radio main power to the cigar lighter. that is the only thing near the radio that's always 'hot'... i don't know about wiring in gauges due to the fact i'm still trying to figure mine out... (i think my sending units are crap)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts