Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 E-250 currently with sealed beam headlights. I would like to change them to composite headlights.
Do I only need to change the headlights? the grill?
And can I mount the headlights to the exisitng big black mounting panel (that spans from headlight to headlight) ?

Upon examination of my current black mounting panel, it doesn;t look like I can just mount the composites on since some tabs seem to be missing. Is there another part that I need to make them able to mount?

Any part number would be apreciated also.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I'm kinda curious why you would want to go through all that work to make that change.

If I had my choice I would go back to sealed beams. They're made of glass and don't fade or have moisture issues like the plastic ones do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Composite lights can use 9007 bulbs which I have many extras and are brighter than the sealed beam headlights.
Also the parts aren't too expensive and it looks pretty simple to change.
The holes seem to light up with the composites on the mounting panel but just can't find a way to secure them with what I have currently.
You mentioned you want to go back to sealed beams. Did you change from sealed beams to the composites before?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Every car I owned had sealed beams, until they started making new cars with plastic lenses. Nope, I didn't make any conversion. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The black panel you are refering to is the radiator support.You would have to go to a dealer or salvage yard to get the necessary clips to mount he composites is the panel is the same for both model years,the original van and the one the composites are coming out of.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the clip info. Are all the black panels and composite headlights the same parts through the years? (i guess from 92-07 when the econolines all have the similar front appearance)

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Anything can be done with time and money, sometimes it is a waste of time and money.

Personally I get the point but it seems like way too much work to do just cause you have lots of 9007 bulbs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think you got the point since it is not just cause I have lots of 9007 bulbs that made me want to change to composite lights. I want to have brighter lights since I just couldn't find replacement sealed beam lights that can do the same.
I am finding the composite lights readily available at very low prices and if you have taken apart the headlights of Econoline previously, you should have found the job very easy.
So with parts cheap , job easy and potentially making things brighter, I just don't think it's a waste of time and money. But perhaps some folks find this swap
very expensive and difficult.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Easy cheap answer, Silverstar bulbs. I replaced the stock bulbs in my 1998 Windstar and 1998 Explorer with Silverstar bulbs and they look twice as bright and are DOT legal.

Another cheaper alternative is a HID style bulb kit that will accomplish the same effect. They are bright but not DOT legal.

You also need to think of the current draw on a bigger bulb over what your stock system was designed to handle. I had a friend melt a headlight switch doing this once.

What ever you do just make sure the bulbs are DOT legal and are properly aimed.

SRO REVIEWS > SYLVANIA SILVERSTAR HIGH PERFORMANCE AUTOMOTIVE HEADLIGHTS

Silverstar VS Stock bulbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a set of HELLA replacement lights that take the place of your stock lights and use H-4 bulbs.They are in a 90 Dodge van that I am parting out.You can get bulbs with different wattages for different brightness.I think the ones that are in them now are 55w/100w---55watt lowbeam/100watt high beam.I would let them go for $50 if you are interested. Rick

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I wonder if 100 watt high beam are DOT legal. I think standard are 55w low / 65 watt high beam.

I added a set of driving lights to my Crown Vic they are on a relay that is triggered by the low beam power, so there is minimal extra power going through the switch. They made a noticable imporvement especially when driving in low reflective raining conditions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts