Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2007 ford five hundred and it only had 1 ignition key. After doing some research, I found out you need at least two working keys to be able to program additional ones your self. If you don’t have 2 working keys, you have to go to the dealer or locksmith to have them program your car to the new key (hook up a computer/scanner).

I programmed my second key myself, with the aid of my remote car starter.:thumbsup:

The dealer wanted $140 to make a second key. I started calling locksmiths and found a guy who would do it for $70.
So, in an effort to keep the cost of additional keys down, I purchased two keys from Amazon. I planned on giving the keys to the locksmith to cut and then he would hook up to the car and do the computer thing.

When I was looking at the procedure for programming keys your self (I will add that below), It wants the first working key, then the second. At that time I remembered what I saw when working on my steering column. It was a wire wrapped around my ignition switch. This wire is for the remote start system, it allows the security feature of the car to deactivate and let the car start, because the wire “impersonates” a key. Bingo!

I brought the keys to Menards and had them cut. (At this point, I was thinking even if my idea doesn’t work and I can’t program them myself, at least they are cut and I can just hand them to the locksmith and say, do your computer thing to make these keys work) For the fun of it, I tried the new keys in the ignition, of course they didn’t start the car. Then I used the remote start, let it run for 5 seconds, tapped the brake to kill the engine. Then put my only working key in the ignition, went to the on position for 5 seconds, then off. Then I put the new key in and went to on for 5 seconds, then I pulled the key out. I put the key back in and it started. I programmed the third key by using the 2 keys (like the instructions calls for).

Not everybody in need of a second key will have a remote start, but hopefully this will help a few people out there.:smile5:

If you have two working keys ,you can program an additional key by:
2006 Freestyle/Five Hundred/Montego Workshop Manual

• Insert the first programmed ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN. Maintain the ignition switch in RUN for 3 seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.
  • Turn the ignition switch to OFF and remove the first coded key from the ignition lock cylinder.
  • Within 10 seconds of turning the ignition switch to OFF, insert the second programmed ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN. Maintain the ignition switch in RUN for 3 seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.
  • Turn the ignition switch to OFF and remove the second coded key from the ignition lock cylinder.
  • Within 20 seconds of turning the ignition lock cylinder to OFF, insert the unprogrammed ignition key (new key/valet key) into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN. Maintain the ignition switch in RUN for 3 seconds. This step programs the new key to a coded key.
  • If it is desired to program an additional key(s), wait 30 seconds and then repeat the key programming procedure from Step 1.
    • If the programming of the new key is successful, the new coded key(s) starts the engine and the anti-theft indicator illuminates for 3 seconds and then goes out.
    • If the programming of the key is not successful, the new coded key(s) does not start the engine and the anti-theft indicator flashes rapidly on and off. Repeat Steps 1 through Step 5. If the failure repeats

If you don't have two working keys,you will need to use the ford scan tool known as IDS.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Interesting for sure. For the record you can do what is called an "add a key" programming with a capable scan tool if you only have one. I would suspect your remote start puts the module in a state that duplicates that. Good to know.

·
Registered
623 Posts
basically you do have two working keys just the chip isnt in one of them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brill. My second key is no longer working. I suspected it will require to be reset or reprogrammed. I searched the net high and low and found nothing. There is just no way you can do it with one coded key. Until, I read your post and luckily I do have a remote starter in my freestar van. I did what you suggested. It worked and I have the second key reprogrammed. I am amazed and thank you so much for this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This procedure just worked for my 2010 Ford F 150. I purchased a cheap transponder key online and had it cut at wal-mart. Followed your procedure with the remote start and it worked like a charm!

Thanks for saving me lots of $$$$.

KP

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just did this successfully with my 99 Mercury Cougar v6. I was UNsuccessful the first few times because it appears that 5 seconds was too long for the process. I went back out to car and went through the steps but for no more than 3 seconds and it worked beautifully. I then programmed another key using my primary key 1st, then the newly programmed 2nd..then the additional cut spare key. They all work!! Thank you so very much!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a 2007 Explorer Sport Trac that has the remote starter with only one key. I found two blank keys with the chip in it on Ebay for about $12. I had to go to a couple of places. but finally Lowes cut the keys for me, for free (even though they were both ignition keys with the chip in it, one of the keys I had cut for my tonneau cover lock).
I tried this...and it didn't work. After several failed attempts, I gave up. After thinking about it for a while, it occurred to me that in the programming with two keys, the vehicle is not started. So, I took a wild shot and pressed the remote start button, but let it go just before the engine started and after all the lights in the instrument panel light up...just like when you put the key in and turn it to "on" before you engage the starter. BINGO! This step made the rest of the directions work for programming with the remote starter with just one key. I hope this helps someone also. Thanks tpm369!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried this on my 2007 Expedition but it did not work. So I tried putting the programmed key in first and turned it to the run position for 5 sec. Then removed the key and pressed the remote start and let it run for 5 sec then touched the brake and inserted the key that needed to be programmed and turned it to the run position. This worked. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
tpm369, you are certifiable as a genius! Thanks for the AWESOME tip... I just programmed my 2003 Eclipse (Mitsubishi is Ford, in a manner of speaking) which uses the identical security system. Now, if only my 2000 Lincoln Continental had a remote start.... Grrrr.

Although I DO understand why Ford set up the security system to require 2 working keys to self-program a third, the fact is that virtually no one would even think about programming a third key until they lose one of the two they have. Locksmiths (and now even Walmart) can make working transponder keys, but they clone the key you hand them, and so the vehicle sees the 2 keys as the same key, so one cannot use those 2 keys to self-program a third.

Anywaaaaay, a GIANT THANKS for the GREAT idea!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I joined just to thank you for your post, OP. This worked perfectly on my 2012 Ford escape and the guy who sold it to me didn't even know it had a remote start. A cheap purchase of a blank key and a replacement remote saved me nearly $150. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was really hoping this would work for me, but... no luck. I have a 2012 F350 diesel dually with remote start, I have tried using all the suggestions, all I get is a reply in the screen in the dash "Starting System Fault".
The dealership parts department wanted $165.00 for the key, then I would need to take it to the service department where they would charge me the shop rate for however long it takes to hook up the tool to the truck and program the key. What a racket!
I purchased an OEM Ford key on ebay for $95.00. I went to three places to get the key cut. The first two said they would not touch the electronic keys and recommended only the dealership.
So now I have an OEM key, and it is cut, but it does not work. I think I will wait a few more weeks to see if anyone posts any other options. But more than likely I will end up at the dealership.
I am so glad this worked for some of you. This whole process of trying to replace a lost key is such a big pain!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts