Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I broke my impact wrench using it to back out a 3/4" drillbit out of a 6 x 6 over the weekend. I need some help determining if the impact wrench is salvagable. Its 40+ years old, so I hate to give up on it too easy. I'm hoping the broken part is a regular replacement piece.

I took it completely apart. (Bear with me on this description) On the very inside there is a rubber shaft that goes around the steel drive shaft, roughly 4" long and 1" in diamater. The rubber shaft appears to be what pushes the spinning part from the motor and gear box up against the working 1/2" driver head. I guess somehow it achieves the hammering action. Anyway, everything appeared to be in tact excpet that rubber shaft, which has sheered off. There is metal atached to both ends of the rubber, so I'm guessing the replacement part, if it is available somewhere, would have the metal at the ends. I didn't try to pull it apart.

This is the only one of these I've ever know, and its always worked. I won't be crushed if it isn't repairable, but I also hate to toss it if all it needs is a wear and tear part replaced.

1 - Can anybody tell what I'm describing, or was that just awful.
2 - Does anybody know if the part I described is a regular replacement item?
3 - Given the age of this thing, where would I go for parts?

This is from the plate on the tool:
Napa High-Tourque
Industrial Listed Model 170 Type 3
Adjustable Impact Wrench
76D Ser. No. GKM 3458
115 V A.C - D.C. 3.0 Amps
Baker Power Tool Co. Genava, ILL, U.S.A.

U.S. PAT. NOS.
D-181189

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I am not familiar with that model at all but I bet it will cost as much to fix that old wrench as it would to buy one of the new battery pack impacts from Snap On or Matco. With them you are not limited as to where you can use it and they are very light considering the battery and all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts