Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 1990 LTD crown victoria wagon. Can anyone tell me what year was a 9 inch rear axle available , in the same platform as my car ? I would like a straight bolt in, but have the ability to modify as necessary. Thanks ! Mike s.

·
Super Moderator
12,736 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

The 9" drop out axle was produced from the late 1950s to 1986. The last 4 to 5 years in trucks only no cars. There would be no bolt in arrangement for your 1990 LTD CV. Modifications would be needed for most all aspects. Mounting, drive line connection and parking brake may be hydraulics as well.

The platform for your ride is a Panther platform. A 9" axle was never used for this platform.

There are a lot of variations for this axle. This website I always found was good at ID.
http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

Not sure why you want to replace the 8.8 that is in your LTD CV? By 1980 Ford took a lot of weight out of this ride. If one were to track towing capacity for the full sized Ford line from the 1970s to the end, towing capacity got reduces down to nearly zero. This car line was slated to be terminated several times in the 1980s. Mostly be cause of fuel economy and the inefficient design. (Big heavy car in a world that was trending the other direction) The issue was it was still be sold in sufficient numbers. The company continued the design just on a (previously designed) smaller platform and sliced as much weight off as possible. Including using the lighter 8.8" rear axle. Dumped the 460 & 400 engines and added AOD transmission. (which was a stop gap transmission as it had quality & performance issues) This kept the engineering costs down and at least improved some of the fuel economy that other car lines could make up the difference.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Reactions: Dominick 1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I was thinking that the 79's had the 9 inch, but wasn't positive. People here will hate me, but I dislike the 8.8. mostly the axle bearings running on the axle its self and the C clips. I prefer the 9 inch. I have a couple spare 9's so I just need to fabricate mounts and put it in. I do know that the pinion angle is off on my 8.8.

·
Super Moderator
12,736 Posts
OK to what end? Just to have a 9"?
I drove about a half a dozen LTDs from 1980 to 1986 over 10,000 each. (company cars) Never had issues with rear axles. And these were new cars so they started at zero miles. Just never had issues, Wish I could say the same about the transmission.

Are the 9" axles you have the correct width for your LTD CV?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 8.8 is getting tired. The limited slip needs rebuilt , the axles are showing a slight groove from the bearings, and its at the upper tolerance for ring and pinion back lash. Honestly, I would rather put the money into a 9 for what I do. There are times I drive out of state and pull a small trailer. And in a couple years I plan on an extended trip across the US with a tear drop trailer. I need to know that it will handle the job. Its not that much work for me as I build custom cars and perform restorations as my full time job . So chassis work is no big deal. The AOD already failed, so I put in a new T5. The car feels so much better with a manual transmission now. I haven't measured the lengths yet of my housings, I know they are from full size Ford Merc, Thanks Mike s.

·
Super Moderator
12,736 Posts
Good luck.

The AOD wasn't built for any towing. Pretty light duty so the company could score better fuel economy on CAFE testing.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, even though mine has the towing package, a trans cooler, pulling a light weight trailer , it just wasn't up to the task.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts