Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here, just starting a 1985 E150 custom camper van build. My question is on improving the performance of my inline six 300. I had originally planned EFI headers and using an Offenhauser intake with a Holley 390, but on the webpage it states this set up won't fit in vans. So I'm back to square one. I have access to a 351w but I'd like to just improve the 300 and save the 351 for a different project. Thought? Ideas?

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

The 300 six is not known for high RPM and high performance (HP), it is known for high torque. It can pull and haul more load than the 351 you have. In addition, since it does not have a timing chain and the way it is built the engine is very tough. Nearly indestructible. 300,000 miles on the engine and still running string is pretty common.

The way to get a few more ponies would be to get a head, manifolds and cam & lifters from an injected 300. The aftermarket has designed those for a pick up truck. The van will need the factory pieces as they were built to fit. That will get you 25 to 45 more ponies.

Action

1 - 2 of 2 Posts