Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to purchase a factory ac/heating system that was pulled from 64 Ranchero for $150 and install it in my all stock 65 Futura (289 ci with no factory AC). Any ideas if the unit will fit, and if yes, what should I be wary of? The system was removed recently. The vehicle has been sitting for the last 8 years but it still had freon in it when it was removed. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Super Moderator
14,181 Posts
There was no factory AC for pre-1965 Ford vehicles.
It would have been a dealer installed AC system or commonly called a hang on unit.
The biggest issue would be the compressor mounting. The compressor will be a York or heavy Tecumseh compressor and the mounting bracket and belts will be different for each engine group.

Everything else is nearly universal

Action

·
Super Moderator
14,181 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Action

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information and for the "welcoming committee". The compressor is a York. If the compressor is past its prime can it be rebuilt or replaced with an aftermarket for a reasonable cost?

·
Super Moderator
14,181 Posts
A York compressor is a tough piece. Will last a very long time. Very long!
The down fall to this compressor is not fixing any oil leaks. The oil does not circulate in the refergierant. It is in a crankcase like an engine.

Readily available as a complete assembly replacement

Action

1 - 7 of 7 Posts