Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for all you 'lectric exoerts.

'09 E-250 When ANY of the doors, side, rear, front, are opened and left open, the interior, dome lights stay on for 9 minutes 45 seconds.

Let's say, 9 minutes into that cycle, the door swtich is re-set, that 9 minutes 45 second timing period, is started over again,,,,,,,, each time untill the battery does dead.

I teach the Motorcycle Safety Class, and use the van for my trachings, supplies, etc. I leave the rear, side doors open all day (unless it's raining) because I'm in and out constantly, and the battery has gone dead a couple of times. (dead enough it either, just barely started, or not spinning fast enough to start)

I can go in and shut each dome light off with each one's individual swtich, that would take care of the daylight hours. But, night time, I'm 'in the dark' stumbling around, trying to find the light switch, when I 'really' need the lights ON.

My question. Is there ANY way to go into the computer and erase that "9 minutes" off the 'on' cycle period? Please?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Did you try taping the switch down? Is the van running the whole time?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I would say get a better battery. A good battery should have enough Juice to start the vehicle after the head lights and other lights have been left on for 4 hours. If the battery won't start the battery after 3 hours, I replace the battery. I make this check on all my vehicle about every 3 months.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I suppose that when you plan to have the doors open all day long, you can pull the time delay relay. But as Pecos mentioned you may be in need of a newer battery.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose that when you plan to have the doors open all day long, you can pull the time delay relay.
No, motor is not running.

new Motorcraft battery.

What is this time delay relay? Where is it and what does it do? Can it be easily reset at night?

4 hours!? Leave the headlights on for a hour or two, no start. What kind of humongous battery you have that will handle that kind of draw?!

There is no way for 'computer nerd' to simply change the timing on/in the computer program? Something simple,,,,,,,

Thanks

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
An optima yellow top battery is a deep cycle battery for cars. Or any deep cycle would do it, but not sure if all would start the car. The optima would be your best bet though.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2004 E150 XLT's dome lights stay on like that, too, only much longer than 9 min 45 seconds.
I pulled the dome light bulbs out a long time ago, and just use the spot lights manually (each of 3 dome lights has 3 bulbs, one automatic and 2 manual spots).

Sounds like that might not work for you, though.

Several fixes come to mind ..

1. Replace your dome light bulbs with the new LED bulbs, they use very little battery power.

2. Make and install a small movable bracket that will hold each door's switch down.

3. Get an electrical shop to wire your dome lights the way they are wired on a basic cargo van .. doors open lights on, doors closed lights off. I couldn't say for sure if this would work, since your van's computer might not like it.

best of luck to you

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Look in your owners manual under roadside emergencies.
"accessory delay" relay

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for all the suggestions! I appreciate it very much!

There HAS to be a (simple) way/procedure to change the cycle time on the computer,,,,,,,,?

The time cycle was set at the 'factory' for the 'average' time needed,,,,,,,, for the interior lights to stay on with the doors left open, to get people out/in, grocerys out/in, cargo out/in, etc, out/in, so the cycle time 'could/should' be able to be reset,,,,,,,,,, with the right software?

I just bought a owner's manual on ebay. I didn't get one with the van when I orginally bought it, even though it only had several hundred orginal miles. Thank you for suggesting it, looking through the "Emergerncy Roadside Assiatance"
I doubt very seriously if the local dealer will rush out to my aid in any roadside emergrencys, like the manual says.

You ask the dealer ANY type of question, you are answered with the question, "Did you buy the vehicle here?" LOL. Been there, done that, all on the 'standby', "we don't have the tech's here today"

Anyway, I'm going to ask these "Tuner Guys" You know, the ones that modify/improve a vehicle's preformance, with a lap top, instead, of tools/busted knuckles, see what they say that can be done.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I know I'm going to get sh*t for this, but you can always bypass the relay by putting a jumper wire between terminals. Just need tofind a diagram so you don't jump the wrong.ones...

·
Registered
78 Posts
You could go into the fuse panel, and find the power wire, and put a toggle switch on it to disable the inside lights to be turned on/off at will. That's the way us ******** would do it.

Yer Fren BUBBER

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You could go into the fuse panel, and find the power wire, and put a toggle switch on it to disable the inside lights to be turned on/off at will. That's the way us ******** would do it.

Yer Fren BUBBER
Yep! Your excellent idea, is 'plan B'.

If I can't get any of thse 'computer tuner' guys to erase the 9 minutes off the 'lights on cycle', I'll put in TWO switches. One front, one rear.

My old '98 Dodge Van, (which is still being used) has a 'special' headlight switch. You know, turn the switch to the left untill a 'notch' is felt, the dash lights are bright, and the interior domelights come on, just like all the headlight switches,,,,,.

Only differnce is, turn that switch to the right, untill another 'notch' is felt, the interior lights are disabled. Meaning, I can leave ALL the doors open.

THANKS!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had my local auto electrician wire mine to the auxilary battery i had put in the back. along with the seats and the stereo. maybe that would help you in the future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a cut-off switch on the ground side of the start battery. Got mine at Interstate Battery but I think Wal-Mart has them also. $5.

Since I leave the doors open a lot I just turn this switch 1/4 turn CC and the van battery is disconnected. House battery (secondary) is still on for other stuff but the interior lights are off.

Do check to see if your computer will be happy with this. Some computers do not like to be connecting/disconnecting all the time and may want to be driven a few miles to reset themselves after a battery change/shut-off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts