Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi … this is my first post, hoping someone can help. Just picked up a 1965 convertible Ford Galaxie 500. The back glass was broken by seller. Wondering if the back glass from a 1971 Ford LTD will work? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
Welcome to the FFO

I do not think so.
Will look up the part number.

Is the glass in your ride flat?

Action

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hard to say as all that is left is shards in the vinyl curtain. Never got to see it before it was broken. I have to go see the guy I bought it off of after work. I'll ask him.

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
I will have access to the parts books when I go home from work.
Hopefully my blonde will remember

If it is flat, maybe a glass shop can make a tempered glass copy.
I have to believe finding a piece of Carlite glass is not going to be easy.

Post pictures of your ride when you have the chance.

Action

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
The answer is no.
This is based on part numbers.

The '65 glass is used in 65 & 66. And it is more complex than that as the glass part number is based on top color.
(Black, Blue, Tan and White)
I assume this is because the glass comes with or inside the rear curtain which is either sew or zipped into the top.

The 65 & 66 use the same part numbers except for 1966 there is no tan top
1967 & 1968 are almost the same except there is no white top for 68. Black, blue and Parchmont for 1968

Starting in 1969 there are two colors and glass or vinyl back window are options. And those part numbers are for 1969 all the way through 1972

Basic part number for the glass is -7652500-

Pretty sure the 71 rear glass will NOT fit a 1965 convertible

Action

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want to thank everyone who responded to my post.
I ended up ordering a new rear curtain in black vinyl for my 65 Galaxie.
In speaking with the upholsterer, he said you replace the whole rear curtain, not just the glass, as it is a pain in the butt otherwise and could potentially leak.
The curtain itself ranges in the $600 range and the job takes about 8 hours to complete.
When un-stapling the back portion of the convertible top, no matter how old the vehicle, the vinyl apparently shrinks up a smidge making the job mildly difficult in getting it back in place once the curtain is installed.
Luckily, the guy I found is an old-school stellar upholsterer. My glass was ordered a month ago and the ETA was 8 to 9 weeks. So the job will be done in the spring.
Hoping to enjoy the car for this last weekend before tucking it away into storage.
Posting a few pics.
Have a great thanksgiving.

Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Land vehicle

Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Steering wheel
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Plant

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
Good luck with the job.

And thanks so very much for posting the pics. If you have an opportunity post an under hood shot.

Very nice ride. I like the color and the dual exhaust too

Likely has a FE V-8 (390 or bigger) based on the exhaust and the fender badge.
While 352 could be had with the dual exhaust I don't think a fender badge was available until the 390 option was ordered. It would be nice to know.

Also is it a US built or Canadian built ride?

Action

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
It will be located on the warranty plate. That is located around the drivers door or door opening. Will have the serial number on it. And then other data.
I have attached examples.
Canadian on top
US version on bottom

The US version will give a lot more data and detail
Since Canada only had one assembly plant, (Oakville) there is no need for that code.

Action

Font Parallel Rectangle Circle Number
Font Parallel Rectangle Number Publication

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
Nice eye candy

Action

Reactions: Galaxiegirl

·
Registered
889 Posts
I want to thank everyone who responded to my post.
I ended up ordering a new rear curtain in black vinyl for my 65 Galaxie.
In speaking with the upholsterer, he said you replace the whole rear curtain, not just the glass, as it is a pain in the butt otherwise and could potentially leak.
The curtain itself ranges in the $600 range and the job takes about 8 hours to complete.
When un-stapling the back portion of the convertible top, no matter how old the vehicle, the vinyl apparently shrinks up a smidge making the job mildly difficult in getting it back in place once the curtain is installed.
Luckily, the guy I found is an old-school stellar upholsterer. My glass was ordered a month ago and the ETA was 8 to 9 weeks. So the job will be done in the spring.
Hoping to enjoy the car for this last weekend before tucking it away into storage.
Posting a few pics.
Have a great thanksgiving.

View attachment 49675
View attachment 49674
View attachment 49676 View attachment 49677 View attachment 49678 View attachment 49679
Hello Galaxiegirl,

I just want to say you have a very nice '65 galaxie 500 convertible. Plus it's nicely optioned with an FE, power drum brakes, power steering and has the AM-FM radio, a rare option indeed.

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey ... here is the plate on my car. Unfortunately it was painted over, but you can still see the pertinent info. I have covered over the unit number because I am paranoid like that ... lol.
I would be curious to know the assembly plant it came from and anything else you might have to offer.
Thanks and have a great day.

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
It was built in the Chicago Plant
2nd letter
Starting with 5 then the next Alpha number

1 - 20 of 21 Posts