Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so befor i had a tiny little miss maybe a vaccum leak somewere who knows, but then i was on the highway and got up to 80 and it started to misfire more, like now its two cylinders. checked the plugs and none were fouled, jsut did them 2 weeks ago. was planning on doing wires, cap and rotor and fuel pump friday anyways, but a buddy of mine said it could be a blown head gasket...... is that right?? or at least could be right?? i jsut dont know what to do or were to look, dont have alot fo money to go have a mechanic take time to look at it =/ when it rains, it pours. :incazzato:

·
Registered
184 Posts
check your oil and your coolant to see if they have mixed in any way.. you can go to sears and buy a compression tester cheap and check your compression, they should all be very close to one another. you can have your coil checked at your local parts store as well

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No coolant in oil, that was the first check. but he said it might not leak water into the oil, not sure if that's correct but something would be leaking somewhere lol. do you know the pressure all cylinders should be??

Oh and coil was replaced with plugs 2 weeks ago

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
You can borrow a compression guage at autozone just leave a deposit.

You were planning on doing wires cap and rotor More often than not, that will clear up a missfire, but if you have a bad headgasket you'll want to tackle that first. A compression check will help to determine if that is the case.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok cool sounds good....... but now i have another problem...... truck got vandalized and someone pulled all my spark plug wires out..... and none are marked. i used the diagram in my chilton book.... but it didnt fire. nothing else is missing, just some punks messing around. i know it has that "no points" thingy with it, i dont know if that makes a difference if so, would that change the firing order?

·
Registered
890 Posts
no. the firing order is the same. is it the dura-spark?
what else was touched on the truck?

·
Registered
798 Posts
so befor i had a tiny little miss maybe a vaccum leak somewere who knows, but then i was on the highway and got up to 80 and it started to misfire more, like now its two cylinders. checked the plugs and none were fouled, jsut did them 2 weeks ago. was planning on doing wires, cap and rotor and fuel pump friday anyways, but a buddy of mine said it could be a blown head gasket...... is that right?? or at least could be right?? i jsut dont know what to do or were to look, dont have alot fo money to go have a mechanic take time to look at it =/ when it rains, it pours. :incazzato:
Do that first.....the miss might go away.
I doubt it's a head gasket.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nothing else on the truck was missing. just pulled wires. i dont know wat to do the cap spots for the wires are not the same in the book. damnit

·
Registered
890 Posts
take a picture of the cap, post it, and we can help you

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
found a picture of a mustang with a different positions tried it and she fired up. still runs rought, but its weird from the firing order of 1,5,4,2,6,3,7,8 (book) and mine fired with 1,3,7,2,6,5,4,8. *sigh* and i dont have a camera, it has a wire comming out the the distributer to the coil, like a neg and positive

·
Registered
890 Posts
found a picture of a mustang with a different positions tried it and she fired up. still runs rought, but its weird from the firing order of 1,5,4,2,6,3,7,8 (book) and mine fired with 1,3,7,2,6,5,4,8. *sigh* and i dont have a camera, it has a wire comming out the the distributer to the coil, like a neg and positive
if it is the original unmolestd engine, it should have the 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 firing order. the 1-3 is the 351W

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so your saying i dont have a 302?? the vin says 302..... but if the timing is like the 351.. does that mean its a 351?

·
Registered
890 Posts
so your saying i dont have a 302?? the vin says 302..... but if the timing is like the 351.. does that mean its a 351?
unless someone at one point put a 351W cam into it...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh ok, that makes sense. is a 351 cam safe in a 302?

·
Registered
890 Posts
that's how the 80's and 90's 5.0 HO was made. the journal diameter is the same size on them

·
Registered
798 Posts
There are 2 firing orders for the 5.0 (302)

1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 302 standard
1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 302 HP and some trucks (same as 351)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
you never know. my VIN says i have a 2oo inline 6, but i just put a 302 into it last year...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i know there are block numbers, were are they? im sure they are hard to get too

1 - 19 of 19 Posts