Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted this up in the "old" site and thought it would be worthwhile to repost here. Basically this is to list the steps to add a new HU to a 2010 and retain the Sync function - well almost all of it. First off I replaced just about everything for sound. New HU, speakers, sub, amps, wiring, sound proofing etc. This portion shows the fun of the new PAC wiring harness for 2010 models retaining the Sync function.

After installing front components, rear speakers, amp and sub I decided it was time to complete the package with a new double DIN HU. I wanted to keep Sync functionality with the USB and Aux plugs on the bottom, keep my steering wheel functions and not cut any factory wires. I searched high and low before calling crutchfield and finding a brand new PAC harness specifically designed for 2009/2010 Ford Sync wiring. This maintains everything and works with base and premium factory units.
The new HU is Pioneer AVH-P3200BT. I chose this because of a couple reasons. One the price was decent. I wanted a Double DIN unit that has BT, USB and Sirius ready. I don't use navigation although I can add it later if wanted. I needed a HU that had dual RCA inputs to keep the Sync functions using the harness. The other reason I chose the HU is that if/when Sync runs out, I still have BT, USB and Sirius and be able to keep my steering wheel controls.
The other reasons for the HU choice is that it has 3 pre-amp RCA outs. Front, Rear and sub.
Onto the goodies. I got the Metra bezel in the factory silver color. This thing is a perfect match. Got the PAC-SWI for the connection for the steering wheel controls. Got the Sirius tuner and Pioneer/Sirius connector to plug in the Sirius.

The harness:
Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future
Here is what it looks like all spread out:
aimg706.imageshack.us_img706_3273_pacharness.png

After figuring out the wiring and butting the HU harness and goodies it was installation time.
HU in new bezel:
aimg3.imageshack.us_img3_3128_huindash.png

I connected all of the PAC harness wiring to the Pioneer harness, added the relay for the parking brake, plugged in the PAC SWI, and got everything in order. The harness comes with another relay for a toggle between AV/DVD and auxiliary. So all of that stuff needed to go inside of the center stack. For ground I used the stock PAC harness ground which plugs to pin # 13 for chassis ground. The HU was plugged into that. I also grounded the HU chassis using the screw mount in the back of the HU. That was run directly to the dashboard chassis. I also ran another ground for the relay for the parking brake. That too went to the dashboard chassis.
Up next was testing the connections. The SWI programmed easily and all of my steering wheel buttons work. The great thing about the harness is that you do not need to add in a 100ohm resistor. Just plug in, program and go. After confirming that everything powered up and was working, I had to fish up the sub and front RCA, remote and BT microphone from below. I placed the main PAC harness directly under the dash bar as it was really the only place I could. Used leftover double sided sticky Velcro from the soundproofing project. Then the PAC SWI and one relay velcro’d to that. It made for a nice easy spot to mount out of the way. I tied back the mess and cleaned it up a little before installing the HU in.
The verdict. Everything powers up perfectly. RAP feature is still in tact. Sync does work but there is no factory voice – no Sync lady??. When I press the Sync button on the wheel, the dash up top does work just like it used to, except no voice. I can say “USB” and it goes right to the USB and starts playing. For the sound to actually work, just switch to AV on the HU and there is the sound. So Sync works, just no voice. My voice commands Sync just like it used to. As long as you say the right commands, it works.
I can play audio just fine but there is no Sync voice. Also my BT through Sync does not work (which I figured) so I am glad I got a built-in BT model HU. A quick disconnect from Sync and connect to the new HU makes it just the same. At least I have everything I wanted. The HU is great with tons of great features like EQ, sub settings, HP/LP filters, etc. Plus it just sounds amazing.

Wiring the mess:
aimg695.imageshack.us_img695_3026_picture1051.jpg

aimg251.imageshack.us_img251_6959_picture1050.jpg

In place before tying it up:
aimg684.imageshack.us_img684_2_picture1052.jpg

Finished product. Note the top display of running USB from the factory plug.
aimg194.imageshack.us_img194_7642_picture1048o.jpg

aimg37.imageshack.us_img37_4097_picture1049y.jpg

After having this in for a couple of months now, I don't even use Sync any more. If you want to retain Sync, then this may be one of only 2 options out there. Metra makes a kit for this as well but the SWI-PS needs to be wired in with a resistor. The PAC version plugs directly with the SWI-PS and no splicing/soldering is needed.

Everything said and done with deadening, 2 amps, etc. the vehicle is amazing...

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's a bunch of wiring! So you never did get the SYNC voice back, did you? Curious, why did you stop using SYNC altogether? 99% of my music come off of a thumb drive, the other 1% is the radio...I never use Cds anymore so the SYNC comes in pretty handy...although if the new HUD has a feature to program the USB to "play all" with "shuffle on" I'd be relatively happy since that's the way I use mine most of the time. But it is nice to be able to use voice to get certain artists etc.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
hold on a second... you did all of this, and it DIDN'T void your warranty? I've seen guys blow it by buying aftermarket shocks...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By not using Sync I really mean I use my thumb drive directly at the HU. Pioneer has a great user interface touch screen so selecting songs by view is 10x better than by voice.

No void on warranty. Everything plugs into the harness which plugs into the factory plugs. No splicing at all. All of that wiring mess is the harness. If I needed I can put back the stocker and reconnect the speakers. That was why I went with the $$ harness.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
ah, now i see...

·
Registered
38 Posts
BTW: For the 2009 Escape, if you buy from Crutchfield and buy a receiver at the same time valued over US$129, they will give you:

afox.memoryfire.com_crtch1.png

afox.memoryfire.com_crtch2.png

It seems they will give you 50% off on top of the $200 for the PAC. Hot deal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep Crutchfield really does a great deal when you purchase a new HU. I already had the HU and bezel from Metra when I grabbed the harness. I got the free FM antenna adaptor though...

The harness is really easy and everything matches up to the HU for wiring. Actually I think all aftermarket HU use the same color coding for wiring these days. Blue for remote, orange for dim, green and purple for rear speakers, etc. Really easy to hook up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep Crutchfield really does a great deal when you purchase a new HU. I already had the HU and bezel from Metra when I grabbed the harness. I got the free FM antenna adaptor though...

The harness is really easy and everything matches up to the HU for wiring. Actually I think all aftermarket HU use the same color coding for wiring these days. Blue for remote, orange for dim, green and purple for rear speakers, etc. Really easy to hook up.
Got you, but I need to verify that they give you the bare wire side and not just the plug side, so you don't have to cut and mutilate the existing PAC harness.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope they give both ends. One end is plug in the other is open ended with a million wires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,
I'm new here and I've just purchased a Escape 2010. I just bought a JVC KW-NT1 and was looking to getting it installed. I was going to get a local guy to do it, and he said for me to get the dash kit, wire harness and antenna adapter. I found most of these items, however, my question is about the wire harness. I phoned Sonic and they said I would need FDSR Scosche FDSR - Wiring Harnesses - Sonic Electronix
Is this the case or can I get a simplified harness? Also is there anything else I would need? I do not have sync nor am I going to get sirius.
Many thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you can get a simpler harness. Mine was specific to retain Sync (at the time). As long as you get one made for 2009/2010 you will be OK. All you need is to accurately tap into the switched and constant +12v. That retains the RAP feature.

·
Registered
128 Posts
sinister mob,

I looked that wiring harness at the manufacturer site and they say that "Aftermarket radio MUST have an auxiliary input in order for the SYNC audio to be heard"

By SYNC audio, are they talking about the SYNC lady?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nomad - Exactly. The PAC harness has a set of RCA inputs that need to go into the HU as Aux inputs. That keeps the Sync, Aux and USB plugs operational with the HU. You actually switch to AUX on the face of the HU and then use Sync and the stock Aux and USB ports. The inputs are needed for the stock Aux and USB ports to go somewhere. Those ports go through the Sync module.

I know another person who used a converter to convert the RCA into one AUX line and used that as the HU input and it worked. That person actually still has the Sync voice. I still don't for some reason. Honestly I don't miss it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I thought that the RCA inputs were needed for SYNC USB/Line audio to be heard and that the SYNC Voice overrides all the audio automatically directly through the PAC?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts