Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there any way on fixing the key Ignition switch?
Hey guys I have a 99 ford Expedition 5.4L with 140k miles on the clock, and I think my ignition switch went bad because when I turn off the car and take the key out the radio will stay on and when I open the door the car chime sound comes on too, which none of those two things should happen when the key isn't in the ignition switch, which makes me think that the ignition switch went bad, I already checked the fuses and they are all okay. So is there any way I can fix the cylinder switch or I'll just have to get a new one? thanks a lot for reading, any info is much appreciated

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,253 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Not that familar with that vehicle and .....
The ignition key lock and ignition switch are two different pieces usually connected by a rod.
Because of wear, typically the ignition switch is mounted with slotted tabs.
If that is the situation, adjusting the ignition switch will fix that condition.

Action

Reactions: TBIRD430

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,253 Posts
Attached are pictures of the switch.
The metal rod sticking out of one side is what is moved to get the switch to work.
One of the mounting holes is elongated.
Typically there is a specific proceedure on installing to get the correct position.

My guess is your switch is out of position.

Action
Rectangle Wood Font Fashion accessory Metal
Wood Rectangle Hardwood Aluminium Plywood

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The metal rod sticking out of one side is what is moved to get the switch to work.
Typically there is a specific proceedure on installing to get the correct position.

Action
View attachment 52600 View attachment 52601
Welcome to the FFO!

Not that familar with that vehicle and .....
The ignition key lock and ignition switch are two different pieces usually connected by a rod.
Because of wear, typically the ignition switch is mounted with slotted tabs.
If that is the situation, adjusting the ignition switch will fix that condition.

Action
thanks for the welcome!
sorry I meant the ignition lock cylinder, I'm guessing that the cylinder went bad because my cousin had the same problem with his 99 ranger and he replaced the ignition lock cylinder and the problem went away, So I just wanted to know If some one has had the same issue and if they fixed the cylinder or if they had to buy a new cylinder, here's a pic of the cylinder
Body jewelry Wood Jewellery Electric blue Circuit component

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Action
View attachment 52600 View attachment 52601
how should I know if is not in position?

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,253 Posts

· Registered
675 Posts
There is an ignition lock actuator that is made of potmetal. These were very popular at wearing out in that generation & breaking into 2 pieces.

Google it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts