Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next on the docket for my 2005 E150 chateau wagon I think is rear leaf springs. They look fine and the wagon is level but it has the wallow and thump of bad springs and the new shocks made no difference to the ride. There's 153K miles on them and the previous owner did heavy trailering, and as springs seem cheap so might as well. MY QUESTION is what strength / weight capacity to replace with? I'm expecting to do some easy off road stuff and with some washboarded roads and I have heavy bed and 7 gallons of water etc in rear.

·
Super Moderator
13,671 Posts
Gross weight rating is a Goldilocks thing. You do not want too much and do not want too little.

There is an axle rating on a sticker in the drivers door jamb for both front and rear.
I would take the rear number bump it by 10% and order that rating.

There are a lot of sources out there. I used this one on a 1990 E 150 to buy a pair of rear leaf springs. https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/
They set me up with a set that was just a little more than stock. Got hangers, U bolts and the misc parts needed.
The most difficult part was removing the old bolts. I had to cut two of them.

The install was easy and made a noticeable difference.

>>>>Action

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. Door jam said 3800lbs so I ordered 2250lb x2 = 4500lbs. I did not order new hardware so I hope I can save both etc.
Ordered from General Spring as they were quite a bit cheaper than sd.

·
Super Moderator
13,671 Posts
I would recommend new hardware.
The old pieces will be stretched

Action

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would recommend new hardware.
The old pieces will be stretched

Action
Luckily Action the hardware and bolts were in great shape. No rust and still with all black coat. One side done and it's siting up real nice. I did NOT remove the shock as some recommend but I used a come-along to pull the axle forward a tad to seat the center. I was thankful that going from two-ply to four-ply the U-bolts were still long enough.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New rear 2250lb 4+1 leaf springs done. It gave me a 3" lift at the back that brought the back up to be 1" higher than the front.
This job "looks" intimidating just because of the weight of the leaf springs but it is so easy; everything is accessible and easy to get a wrench on. I treated the bolts with liquid wrench the night before and they all came out by hand. Thanks to Action for suggesting the upgraded springs; with the bed and camping supplies and the rear roof rack it sits so much better. Beginning to feel good about this wagon.

Reactions: Action
1 - 6 of 6 Posts