Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is a lincoln problem

5.0 driving down the road suddenly buck once continues on like nothing. Come to a stop street every now and then stall wont start get out whack distributor starts up. sometime stall, crank crank crank starts right up ... any ideads?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
what year is it?
how many miles?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
well if it's a 90, it should cancel out vaporlock...
how long has it been doing this?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sounds like the cap may be cracked or dirty. If it is the big(about 5" round)cap, I would replace the cap adapter while I was in there. It could also be the tfi module, they can be taken off and tested, but the test doesn't heat it up to simulate driving and alot of times they will test good when they're not hot and fail when the car warms up. Rich

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
you can just pull some from a local boneyard (TFI), and try them.
like maytag said, the cap might be cracked, which could have moisture in it, even though they have a vent to get rid of any...

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have had 2 with holes burnt through the rotor but it sounds more like a stator or module problem.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Are you CERTAIN that whacking the dizzy makes a difference?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think so ... it seems to start with no problem after i whac the dizzy ... and it takes for ever if i dont ... so i pretty sure its the dizzy

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I am pretty sure that there is a grounding wire to the pickup coil inside the dizzy. Make sure that is clean and tight.

Otherwise see if you can locate how to check that pickup coil.

Oh.. yes... there is a way to use a test light at the tach side of the coil while cranking, it should blink.
(THose who know more than me on this issue, don't be afraid to correct me)

See if it blinks, and if not, then tap your dizzy as you have in the past, and see if it blinks.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
any chance the plug wires could be crap?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So after a year of driving this thing bucking and stalling and what not. It was finnaly taken to ford .... the diagnosis ... Lose fuel filter ....

I didnt put it on by the way

·
Registered
623 Posts
huh ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts