looking for 2008 Escape Key | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

looking for 2008 Escape Key

Discussion in 'Wanted Ford Parts, Cars or Trucks' started by Air Aitch, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Air Aitch

Air Aitch New Member

I tested my coronary and blood pressure medicine today when I called the local dealer to find out what a key to my 2008 Excape XLT would cost. I was amazed that he could say $130 plus $45 to program it.

So, I thought I'd check here to see if anyone here has one from a no longer used vehicle that I could afford.
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

A lock smith will likely charge similar. I worked with a mobile locksmith a few years back. I asked him about his business. He said he gets very busy over the weekends for lost keys and the like. Service calls ranged from $100 to close to $1000. I forget the foreign brand vehicle that had the high charge. It wasn't German I think it was Japanese.

It is the high price of security.

>>>>>>Action
    Air Aitch likes this.
  3. Air Aitch

Air Aitch New Member

I found some ebay sellers that offered reasonably priced key blanks with the electronics. I ordered a set of 2 for $25 and could have got 1 for less.

I have also been looking for an outside weather seal for the driver door window. Local dealer said $90+. I found an online dealer in CA - cheaperfordparts.com - and ordered it for $55 delivered.

We'll see when those parts arrive if the money was well spent. I'll have to have the key blanks ground - or do it myself with files - but I think I can program the locks myself.
  4. George Miklas

George Miklas New Member

I'm following this because I too think that the price you were told was outrageous. I bought my first Escape three years ago and the selling dealer didn't know the keyless code. Dealer told me $75.00 to look up the code. I went three years before I crossed a post that directed me to YouTube to find my code. Well low and behold after watching the video, I went to my Escape and had the code in 5 minutes! ...with that $75.00 staying in my own pocket.
    Air Aitch likes this.
  5. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

The code is on a sticker on the keyless module for most vehicles.

>>>>>>Action
  6. George Miklas

George Miklas New Member

exactly! You just have to find the keyless module.
  7. Douglas Hardin

Douglas Hardin New Member

I ordered two from amazon and took it to Ace hardware and the guy programmed it for 20 bucks, do you have jut one?
    Air Aitch likes this.
  8. Air Aitch

Air Aitch New Member

9. Air Aitch

Air Aitch New Member

Care to share how you did that?

I got my 2 blanks cut by a locksmith today. They turn the ignition lock without problems. I then followed instructions I found online from a Ford dealer. I turned the key on and off 8 times within 10 seconds until the door locks cycled indicating that the key was in programming mode. I then pressed one of the key buttons within 20 seconds as instructed. The key will turn the ignition but not start the car. It will lock and unlock the doors and blow the alarm horn, but not start the car.

I did the same with a second blank that I had cut today with the exact same result.

I have the stickers that came with the keys originally but don't know how to use the information on them.

If anyone knows what else I can do to make these keys work, I'd very much appreciate being told how to proceed.
  10. Air Aitch

Air Aitch New Member

The owner's manual for my Escape has instructions for programming new, uncoded keys. The instructions begin on page 93 of the manual for my 2008 model and continue on the following page. Here are the instructions I followed (paraphrased).

First: You must have 2 keys that are already programmed that operate the locks and start your engine. If you do not have 2 such keys, referred to as coded keys you must see a dealer to get your new key(s) coded.

Second, the uncoded key that you wish to program must be cut to fit and must work the ignition lock. This procedure requires that the key to be programmed/coded will turn from the lock position to the run position.

You must have 2 coded keys to follow these steps successfully.

Proceed as follows:
    1) insert the first coded key and turn it to the run position and let it remain there at least 3 seconds but not more than 10 seconds, then remove it. The dashboard symbols all light up with the key in the run position.
    2) within 10 seconds of removing the first coded key, repeat the process in step one with the second coded key, inserting it, turning it to the run position and letting it remain there for at least 3 seconds but not more than 10 seconds then removing it.
    3) within 20 seconds of having removed the second coded key, insert the uncoded key, turn it to the run position and let it remain there for 6 seconds. If you have succeeded the new key will start the engine and will operate the door locks. If it does not, repeat the procedure.

NOTES:
    i) I programmed 2 new keys after having them cut to match by a locksmith. After the 6 seconds in the last step, the dashboard symbols went unlit. I then returned the new key to the lock position. I then turned the key to the run position and saw the dashboard panel light up then turned the key all the way, releasing it after the engine started as usual.
    ii) CAUTION- I found several YouTube videos that claim to instruct you how to program your keys that do not include the instructions about having 2 keys and following the procedure. They will program the door look codes but the keys will not start the vehicle even though they will work the ignition lock. YOU MUST HAVE 2 CODED KEYS AND FOLLOW THE PROCEDURE ABOVE TO GET FULLY FUNCTIONAL KEYS.

I hope this post might help someone else who wants to make extra keys for their Escape.

aa
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020 at 8:03 PM