Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello every one! just joined the fourm seems like a good helpful site. Ihave a question i just bought a 05 escape and it had 61000 when I bought it ! my question is ,in the couple thousand miles I put on it used a half to a quart of oil the dealership changed it so I guess that they put 5/20 in it. with the temp being in the 90s and and running the a/c all the time with such thin oil my question is would it be ok to run a thicker oil in it like 5/30 or would that be a bad idea. thanks

·
Registered
890 Posts
should be fine, even if you ran 10W30. thicker oil runs cooler

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
should be fine, even if you ran 10W30. thicker oil runs cooler
I believe that, the thermostat determines the engine temperature, not the oil.

Ford recommends 5W20. It's my understanding that one can change the viscosity level, so going to 5W30 should be ok, but changing the thinkness from 5Wxx to 10Wxx might be a problem.

If your engine is still under warranty, I would get something in writing from FORD, not someone on a forum

-----------------------------
After you ahd the oil changed, did you pull the dip sitck to see what level it was at? Is it possible that the tech did not fill it to the full mark? Maybe he left it half a quart low.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Unless you are experiencing some sort of problems with your engine. I would not suggest changing the recommended oil viscosity... The oil is recommended for a reason. Higher viscosity oil can give your faster engine wear. Engines of today aren't like the ones from the 60's & 70's where you can change oils with no worries..

·
Registered
890 Posts
i only suggested that because i was told by the dodge dealership that it was ok for my 04 SRT neon. it was changing from conventional to synthetic, and vise versa that made the BIG difference. also the 5w20 is just the current industry standard oil, good for winter, not so much for summer.
but again, that's a mopar, not a ford

·
Registered
890 Posts
Motor oil viscosity - Castrol Motor Oil

http://www.synlube.com/sae5w-20.htm

If you use thinner oil (SAE 20) under these "normal" operating conditions there will be LESS resistance to motion due to reduced viscosity, and therefore BETTER Fuel Economy will result. This gain in fuel economy does not however occur without costs.

1. [*]Increase in oil consumption due to lower viscosity. Can be offset by better seals (they cost more)
    [*]Increase in oil consumption due to higher volatility. Can be offset by synthetics (they cost more)
    [*]Decrease in Engine service life due to increased boundary wear under some operating conditions
    (this will cost more per mile driven or per engine operating hour)

Only manufacturers who have 3 years or 36,000 miles powertrain warranties currently recommend
SAE 5W-20 oil to be used in their NEW 2000 through present model vehicles (FORD, HONDA).

FINAL choice is yours, you can get BETTER mileage, or LONGER engine life.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
This is from page 250 of the 2005 Escape owner's manual

Use SAE 5W-20 engine oil.​
Only use oils “Certified For Gasoline Engines” by the American
Petroleum Institute (API). An oil with this trademark symbol conforms
to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel
economy requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and
Approval Committee (ILSAC), comprised of U.S. and Japanese
automobile manufacturers.
To protect your engine’s warranty use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an
equivalent 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A.​
SAE
5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy and durability
performance meeting all requirements for your vehicle’s engine
Do not use supplemental engine oil additives, cleaners or other engine
treatments. They are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage that
is not covered by Ford warranty.

2005 Escape​
(204)

Owners Guide (post-2002-fmt)​
USA
(fus)

·
Registered
890 Posts
This is from page 250 of the 2005 Escape owner's manual

Use SAE 5W-20 engine oil.​
Only use oils “Certified For Gasoline Engines” by the American
Petroleum Institute (API). An oil with this trademark symbol conforms
to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel
economy requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and
Approval Committee (ILSAC), comprised of U.S. and Japanese
automobile manufacturers.
To protect your engine’s warranty use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an
equivalent 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A.​
SAE
5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy and durability
performance meeting all requirements for your vehicle’s engine
Do not use supplemental engine oil additives, cleaners or other engine
treatments. They are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage that
is not covered by Ford warranty.

2005 Escape​
(204)

Owners Guide (post-2002-fmt)​
USA
(fus)
which further proves my point

·
Registered
890 Posts
hello every one! just joined the fourm seems like a good helpful site. I have a question i just bought a 05 escape and it had 61000 when I bought it ! my question is ,in the couple thousand miles I put on it used a half to a quart of oil the dealership changed it so I guess that they put 5/20 in it. with the temp being in the 90s and and running the a/c all the time with such thin oil my question is would it be ok to run a thicker oil in it like 5/30 or would that be a bad idea. thanks
also he bought it used so i don't think there's a warranty on it...
just checked with dealership service manager, 10w30 is optimal, and will not void warranty

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Unless you are experiencing some sort of problems with your engine. I would not suggest changing the recommended oil viscosity... The oil is recommended for a reason. Higher viscosity oil can give your faster engine wear. Engines of today aren't like the ones from the 60's & 70's where you can change oils with no worries..
the higher the number, the lower the viscosity

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Ashzo,
From what I've read about oil and viscosity it seems that 10w30 would be fine, and perhaps preferable in weather that is consistantly well over freezing. However I am not prepared to make a statement that disagrees with the owner's manual.

I have also read that newer engines are designed and manufactured with closer tolerances and that is why the thinner oils are recomemnded. It is quite possible that the info I read is out-dated.

Regarding taking the word of a service manager, I personally would not put too much faith in that. I am sure that many are good, and knowledgeable. Here is my story. While my '88 Aerostar 3.0 was under warranty it started running hot. They wanted to replace my entire cooling system. I vaguely recall my discussion with the mechanic who said that I might have a clogged lower radiator hose. I went to the service manager and told him that I didn't want that *!#@[email protected]% working on my truck. The service manager defended him and said that a clogged lower radiator hose was a distict possibility. I rest my case.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
my question is, has anyone tested this out? next one is, who is willing to sacrifice their car to test it out? I would but i don't exactly own a newer car. i probably will soon though. so, i guess i'll be the guinea pig...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
my question is, has anyone tested this out? next one is, who is willing to sacrifice their car to test it out? I would but i don't exactly own a newer car. i probably will soon though. so, i guess i'll be the guinea pig...
You & soon to be Mrs Jonzo will be carting the little ones around to soccer practice soon. Not to mention your favorite ice fishing & hunting locations...

·
Registered
890 Posts
i think jonzo meant sacrificing the 2011 mustang GT we were planning on getting...

·
Registered
534 Posts
tried out

had a friend with a95 or so 5.0 mustang. took it to have the oil changed, decided to put 20 w 50. ended up twisting the oil pump drive shaft. Concidence? you decide. He also was a lead-foot

·
Registered
890 Posts
had a friend with a95 or so 5.0 mustang. took it to have the oil changed, decided to put 20 w 50. ended up twisting the oil pump drive shaft. Concidence? you decide. He also was a lead-foot
the 5.0L's oil pump drive shaft wasn't known for being the strongest to begin with... jon's been running 20w50 in all of his summer cars since i've known him, and still no problems, even after 400K miles on 2 of those

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks a lot for the help guys !! and double thanks Ashzo77 for going out of your way. I am going to take it back to the dealership Wendsday , if i cant find any good reason as to why it is useing oil, i guess i will try and talk them into takeing it back and buy some thing from them ,newer and with a warranty,they have a good name and been around along time so I hope that works in my favor !cant think of any thing else to do, any one i have spoke to hasnt had any problems with useing oil with this model. thanks everyone Craig

·
Registered
534 Posts
oil

the 5.0L's oil pump drive shaft wasn't known for being the strongest to begin with... jon's been running 20w50 in all of his summer cars since i've known him, and still no problems, even after 400K miles on 2 of those
Yeah, ashzo, i run 20w50 in all my vehicles too.. except for my mk vii. im still running 10w40. but with the t-5,i tend to be kinda lead-footed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts