Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have an early 70’s 302 in my 65 Galaxie and am having some trouble figured out my frame and motor mounts. Currently the motor is tilting up in the front causing the fan blades to be higher at the top than I’d like especially when I am trying to find a shroud. Here’s some pics of the mount set up. I think the frame mounts might be from a big block or maybe just wrong motor mounts. Love this forum. Thank you all Ford guys!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,083 Posts
Any idea of the motor mount design?
Is it for a 65 289 or for a 70s 302?

What does the driveline angle look like?
How about the spacing of the transmission to the under body of the vehicle?

So the question is ....
Are the motor mounts too high
Or the transmission mount too low creating an extreme angle

Action

Reactions: Galaxie 65

·
Super Moderator
15,083 Posts
BTW the power steering pump is very late 70s if not 80s

Action

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have an early 70’s 302 in my 65 Galaxie and am having some trouble figured out my frame and motor mounts. Currently the motor is tilting up in the front causing the fan blades to be higher at the top than I’d like especially when I am trying to find a shroud. Here’s some pics of the mount set up. I think the frame mounts might be from a big block or maybe just wrong motor mounts. Love this forum. Thank you all Ford guys! View attachment 49260 View attachment 49261 View attachment 49262
Hello Galaxie 65,

Yuppers those are FE frame perches. You'll need the Windsor frame perches for 1965-1968 Ford full size frames. They bolt into the engine frame cross member, you may have to remove the lower control arms to get to all 4 bolts on each side. Kind of a pain to change, but getting the right parts will restore the engine/trans angle as well as your propshaft angles as I'm sure those are way off as well. I doubt there is that much adjustment in the rear axle upper control arm to match pinion angle to that extreme engine/ trans angle. Even if there were you'd probably far exceed the safe Cardan joint angle of 3 degrees.

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Galaxie 65,

Yuppers those are FE frame perches. You'll need the Windsor frame perches for 1965-1968 Ford full size frames. They bolt into the engine frame cross member, you may have to remove the lower control arms to get to all 4 bolts on each side. Kind of a pain to change, but getting the right parts will restore the engine/trans angle as well as your propshaft angles as I'm sure those are way off as well. I doubt there is that much adjustment in the rear axle upper control arm to match pinion angle to that extreme engine/ trans angle. Even if there were you'd probably far exceed the safe Cardan joint angle of 3 degrees.

Cheers
Thank you sir!! Big help. I kept looking for small block frame mounts/lower motor mounts and couldn’t find anything to steer me in the right direction. When the guy put the motor in he did whatever he could to make this set up accept the mounts so I’m sure I will change the motor mounts as well. Do you happen to know what motor mounts I should be looking for or are the ones I have going to work on the Windsor frame mounts?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Thank you sir!! Big help. I kept looking for small block frame mounts/lower motor mounts and couldn’t find anything to steer me in the right direction. When the guy put the motor in he did whatever he could to make this set up accept the mounts so I’m sure I will change the motor mounts as well. Do you happen to know what motor mounts I should be looking for or are the ones I have going to work on the Windsor frame mounts?
Hello Galaxie 65,

You're quite welcome. The engine mounts don't look right either. The 1965-1968 Windsor mounts have a through bolt that runs fore-aft and passes through the frame perch and both ears of the engine mount. I would simply order new engine mounts for a 1965-1968 full size car with a Windsor engine after you find a set of similar frame perches. The frame perches between an FE and Windsor look very different. You're best bet to find a set would be to contact a place like Desert Valley Auto Parts or CTC Auto Ranch. Any 65-68 full size Ford (Custom, galaxie 500/XL/LTD, XL, LTD, or any of the full size station wagons are candidates).

To Actions point about the power steering pump. Have you tried the power steering in the car with the engine running? You should be able to basically steer the car with a feather duster as the assist was originally designed. I have read these 1965-1968 and possibly later ones require a high flow rate pump and hence used the Ford Thompson pump as a result. The Ford-Thompson pump is the large round all metal pump. So if your power steering feels under assisted or jerky in a quick steering wheel movement your pumps regulated flow rate is mismatched to your steering gear requirements.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
15,083 Posts
1965 to 1968 Full sized Ford engine support perch bracket
Small block 289/302 (2BBL) engines
C5AZ 6028 B right
C5AZ 6029 B left

Only used on full sized Ford, as the full sized Mercury line up did not use the small block.
Only FE V8 blocks for full sized Mercury of those years.

Action

1 - 7 of 7 Posts