Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have been slowly restoring a 1961 Econoline van over the last two years and just got it up and running about a month ago. I am needing to rebuild the front end but want to drop it at the same time. I think I am going to stick with the straight axle because thats what my front end guy is suggesting....? I am looking for wisdom from anyone on how I should go about this. I want it to sit at least 4 inches lower. I am planing on rolling 18x8's with 235/40ZR's or might try a 20" too to fill up the fender opening. Where can I get lower leafs?? Or is there an other way? Thanks!
Seth-

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I wouldn't alter the springs at all. Every time you do that you change the ride for the worse. I would, if it was mine, install either a lowered axle or dropped spindles. Both are available from most hotrod suspension shops.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. I will look into that. Do you think that would lower me 5 inches or so? Sorry.. Im new to all this. This is my first time lowering. :0)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Me personally, if I was building that van, I'd graft in a front frame section of a Ford with A-arm suspension cause it would give you more options, such as airbags. I don't know what your budget is like, but that's the way I'd go. I've seen these vans slammed on big inch rims, they look cool.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Crown Vic front ends will bolt right to any straight frame that is around 34 inches wide. The cop cars have 700 pound/inch springs and nice swaybars. There is a Ford truck enthusiast site, go to the '67/'72 forum and search "crown vic" and you'll see how slick it is. Rich

·
Registered
684 Posts
Cool, I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever get my hands on another 68 F100.

·
Registered
154 Posts
This swap works on more than the 68, there is a thread in all of the early forums. I am looking for a free cop car so I can do it to my 66

·
Registered
798 Posts
Not sure if it's do-able.........Air bags???

·
Registered
154 Posts
Air bags would be rough, the amount of fab work just to locate the axle would drive you nuts. Lincoln bags in the c/v cradle, hmm. Rich

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Crown Vic front ends will bolt right to any straight frame that is around 34 inches wide. The cop cars have 700 pound/inch springs and nice swaybars. There is a Ford truck enthusiast site, go to the '67/'72 forum and search "crown vic" and you'll see how slick it is. Rich
Where would I find this Ford Truck Enthusiast site? Thanks for all the info guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts