Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is a Ford Taurus X, 2008.

In the stock wheel, the lug nuts are recessed in a hole. The tolerance between the lug hex nut and the walls of the hole is very tight. The lug wrench fitting is just too fat and does not fit in. This is with the lug wrench provided with the car, and lug nuts that meet the specification provided in the owner's manual.

So, if I have a flat tire in a bad place. I will not be able to get the wheel/tire off the car. I could be stranded.

Has anyone had this problem? Is there a solution?

One option I thought of is just to replace the stock wheels with ordinary cheap steel rims. But for obvious reasons I am not keen to do that. I like the stock wheels that came with the car and would prefer a solution where I can continue to use them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the idea. The hex nut seems to be about 3/4 inch corner to corner. I am not sure what the 1/2 inch will do. Maybe I do not understand what you mean. Can you please elaborate?

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,300 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

A deep 6 point socket should do the trick.
Sometimes a thin wall socket is needed like this one to protect the wheel.
I believe the size is 19mm or 3/4"

I do not care for the stock lug nut wrench. Most of the time they are never used over the life of the vehicle. Many people have auto clubs or take in to tire shop before any issue. So the factory does get a bit cheap on these wrenches. I have a deep socket and a breaker bar in my trunk

Action

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Super Moderator!

The stock lug wrench does not even fit. I wonder how many people were stranded by flats because they trusted that the car came with the right equipment.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,300 Posts
Thanks for posting back with your experience.
It may help someone in the future!!!

Action

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.