Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the last thread in this forum is from 2016. Not much interest in 70's Maverick / Comet in general?.

Since I got my '74 in 2018, I've noticed keen interest at cruises and shows with many 'enthusiasts' not even aware of the Ford Maverick. With the Fastback roof , chopped tail and long heavy hood, people ask if it's a Firebird or Camaro and the "Grabber" decals , an 'appearance' option to the bench seat - 3OTT 250 Six package confuse.

From '68 to '77 the Maverick/Comet platform was a top seller in U.S. . The Maverick was sold for under $ 2000.oo when it debuted and it was apparent to owners Ford made every effort to keep production costs low ...

Recently the Maverick is being re-discovered as endless/monotonous ' Bowtie' oldies and shiny new Mopar Hemi re-runs don't keep the interest of true enthusiasts.

Have fun

Comet GT 'parts' added to simple 3OTT / Bench / Six Maverick. ( and a Vortech VII)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Coupé
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Engine

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Coupé
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine
Motor vehicle Engine Auto part Vehicle Car

Vehicle Engine Auto part Car Motor vehicle
Vehicle Car Engine Auto part Automotive super charger part

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Muscle car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Muscle car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Sedan
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Muscle car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Steering part
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Steering wheel

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Gauge
Automotive exterior Hood Roof Vehicle Trunk

have fun

... everything in my garage has a story....

Vehicle Car Property Lawn Real estate

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,253 Posts
Back in the 1970s, I always wanted a Maverick. Just didn't have the cash. When I did scrape enough for a down payment I bought and financed my only brand new car. A 1978 Ford Granada with a 250 six and a Jatco auto transmission. Loved the car. And it was built off of the same platform as a Maverick. (I did not like Fairmont the Maverick replacement)

>>>>>>Action

Reactions: Dominick 1

· Registered
8,146 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Vintage car Classic car
65 years young and still at it
Back in the 1970s, I always wanted a Maverick. Just didn't have the cash. When I did scrape enough for a down payment I bought and financed my only brand new car. A 1978 Ford Granada with a 250 six and a Jatco auto transmission. Loved the car. And it was built off of the same platform as a Maverick. (I did not like Fairmont the Maverick replacement)

>>>>>>Action
That was his high school car
And he was the service Manager where i worked

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.. years back I saw the fabled 'Mad Frenchman' Drag Maverick at the 'Dover Dragstrip Reunion' show at Lebanon Valley Speedway. One of last full throttle appearances by original builder Clem Lechance and his self-built naturally aspirated 300 Magnum Six . I was in the staging lanes but wasn't able to line up with him with a race-ready 250CID '61 Comet. (I would have seen his tail end disappear towards the little end ...).
That Maverick Six made a terrible low rumbling howl down the lane like no bent eight ever will.

http://nosleepatall.com/mad-frenchman-6cyl-maverick-10-5/

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/fo...maverick-famous-hof-super-stock-drag-car.html

Hav efun

· Registered
1,410 Posts
I've had two, a 72 grabber and a 77 two door that I converted the bumpers to the early ones. I would still like to build a hotrod Maverick as I still have a spoiler and ends for one.

· Registered
60 Posts
I noticed the last thread in this forum is from 2016. Not much interest in 70's Maverick / Comet in general?.

Since I got my '74 in 2018, I've noticed keen interest at cruises and shows with many 'enthusiasts' not even aware of the Ford Maverick. With the Fastback roof , chopped tail and long heavy hood, people ask if it's a Firebird or Camaro and the "Grabber" decals , an 'appearance' option to the bench seat - 3OTT 250 Six package confuse.

From '68 to '77 the Maverick/Comet platform was a top seller in U.S. . The Maverick was sold for under $ 2000.oo when it debuted and it was apparent to owners Ford made every effort to keep production costs low ...

Recently the Maverick is being re-discovered as endless/monotonous ' Bowtie' oldies and shiny new Mopar Hemi re-runs don't keep the interest of true enthusiasts.

Have fun

Comet GT 'parts' added to simple 3OTT / Bench / Six Maverick. ( and a Vortech VII)
Yo Ford Maverick lover since I was 10 years old. I'm 35 now. I am the second owner of a 74' Maverick Grabber. 302 C4 PS, AC, Disc Brakes, sport mirrors, and seat belt interlock. I have all the original parts, but the 2bbl went bad so I put a 4bbl I had on the shelf so I could drive it. Other than that and duel exhaust with headers it's mostly original. Hoping to paint it the original Medium Bright Blue Metallic this year. A little over 100k on it, but I had to go through the motor because it had been sitting 20 years in an old womans garage. Her husband bought it new in 74' as a retirement gift to himself. He had a bad back so he ordered it with the super soft vinyl bench seat. With the medium blue interior, options and exterior color it's one of less than like 25 made that way in 74'. I love Mavericks!
Rust free but Arizona burned the paint. Not that I care I want it the original colors and stripes.
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Plant

· Registered
172 Posts
I think the way this forum is organized it's hard for people browsing to locate model specific forums. They end up posting about their 60-70's ford in forums for late model cars are popular.

Steve

Reactions: Iowan
1 - 10 of 10 Posts