Maverick - ..anybody out there? | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Maverick - ..anybody out there?

Discussion in 'Ford Maverick' started by POWERBAND, Jun 11, 2020.

1. POWERBAND

POWERBAND New Member

I noticed the last thread in this forum is from 2016. Not much interest in 70's Maverick / Comet in general?.

Since I got my '74 in 2018, I've noticed keen interest at cruises and shows with many 'enthusiasts' not even aware of the Ford Maverick. With the Fastback roof , chopped tail and long heavy hood, people ask if it's a Firebird or Camaro and the "Grabber" decals , an 'appearance' option to the bench seat - 3OTT 250 Six package confuse.

From '68 to '77 the Maverick/Comet platform was a top seller in U.S. . The Maverick was sold for under $ 2000.oo when it debuted and it was apparent to owners Ford made every effort to keep production costs low ...

Recently the Maverick is being re-discovered as endless/monotonous ' Bowtie' oldies and shiny new Mopar Hemi re-runs don't keep the interest of true enthusiasts.

Have fun

Comet GT 'parts' added to simple 3OTT / Bench / Six Maverick. ( and a Vortech VII)

ai.postimg.cc_qNc8WvhF_00s0s_1_Jg_Iq_NTKj_V6_600x450.jpg . ai.postimg.cc_mz4WvsZg_100_4390.jpg

ai.postimg.cc_ThRCNnsg_MAVERICK_TONIS_DRIVE_BY1.jpg . ai.postimg.cc_hzxv9JLG_100_2575.jpg . ai.postimg.cc_5YcNNxhW_100_2586.jpg .

ai.postimg.cc_RqmKr65R_IMG_0934.jpg . ai.postimg.cc_D4zt2st5_100_5172.jpg

ai.postimg.cc_crMM91mT_IMG_1510.jpg . ai.postimg.cc_gLyRT4vr_IMG_1516.jpg

ai.postimg.cc_QHXWMQQk_IMG_1527.jpg . ai.postimg.cc_w70RR1FK_IMG_1528.jpg

ai.postimg.cc_ZWQ9jX1V_IMG_1531.jpg . ai.postimg.cc_hzLfDvh5_IMG_1530.jpg

ai.postimg.cc_rdtDHQTc_IMG_1532.jpg . ai.postimg.cc_t7GP3869_IMG_1533.jpg

have fun

... everything in my garage has a story....

ai.postimg.cc_v11nsGWJ_IMG_1519.jpg

Dominick 1 and Action like this.
  2. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

Ready to race

Attached Files:

3. Dominick 1

71 maverick 004(1).jpg
    Action likes this.
  4. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Back in the 1970s, I always wanted a Maverick. Just didn't have the cash. When I did scrape enough for a down payment I bought and financed my only brand new car. A 1978 Ford Granada with a 250 six and a Jatco auto transmission. Loved the car. And it was built off of the same platform as a Maverick. (I did not like Fairmont the Maverick replacement)

>>>>>>Action
    Dominick 1 likes this.
  5. Dominick 1

71 maverick 009(1).jpg 65 years young and still at it
    That was his high school car
    And he was the service Manager where i worked
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2020
    Action likes this.
  6. POWERBAND

POWERBAND New Member

.. years back I saw the fabled 'Mad Frenchman' Drag Maverick at the 'Dover Dragstrip Reunion' show at Lebanon Valley Speedway. One of last full throttle appearances by original builder Clem Lechance and his self-built naturally aspirated 300 Magnum Six . I was in the staging lanes but wasn't able to line up with him with a race-ready 250CID '61 Comet. (I would have seen his tail end disappear towards the little end ...).
    That Maverick Six made a terrible low rumbling howl down the lane like no bent eight ever will.

http://nosleepatall.com/mad-frenchman-6cyl-maverick-10-5/

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/fo...maverick-famous-hof-super-stock-drag-car.html

Hav efun
    Dominick 1 likes this.
  7. Iowan

Iowan Well-Known Member Respected Member

I've had two, a 72 grabber and a 77 two door that I converted the bumpers to the early ones. I would still like to build a hotrod Maverick as I still have a spoiler and ends for one.