Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I was tired of seeing "never" on this forum when doing a search so I thought I'd at least put something here. I appreciate you Ford guys giving we black sheep of the family a spot here. We know that there is no such thing as a Ford Comet, but hey, we're all the same under the wool er; under the hood.:) I have restored 3 Comets over the years. A 62 tudor post that received a 289 and mustang suspension as a part of the restoration. A 67 Cyclone that was a 40k mile tudor hardtop 289 car that some old guy owned and robbed the cherry old 289 and trans for his f150, gees. this was in 86. I dropped a Cleveland in it and damn that was a nice car. When I finished the car I sold it to a 16 year old boy for his first car. $2500. He was $200 short and asked me if I would sell him the car, give him the title and let him pay me the $200 when he got his next check. I said how would I ever be sure he would pay me. He swore he would and his father said, "he is a good boy and has been working real hard to earn enough money for his first car. He will pay you and I'll see to it." I can't believe I agreed but I did. A week later I got a check in the mail and a letter from this boy thanking me and telling what a great car it was. He said he and his Dad figured out the mechanical advance wasn't working right , they replaced the distributor and he said quote, "it's twice as fast!" I never saw that car again. My 3rd Comet is the 66 Cyclone GT that I have now. Anyway, I wanted to open this damed black sheep part of things up. I'm thankful to have a spot to talk with other 60's classic owners.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Aaw,lipripper,you beat me to the punch. this is not mine, its a friends .260 2speed.
really wish he would go online, but appearantly he has lost interest in it like i did with my Riviera.

Pay no attention to the gmc, i got it cheap:wink5:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
if it has the oval on the parts, it's cool here. includes Lincolns, the mazda B-series pick ups, and the DeTomasso Pantera.

·
Registered
534 Posts
well friends, my friend still hasnt gone on line yet, but, when I dangled a 5.0 and a c-4 trans from a 69 falcon. I thik that was the carrot that sparked a renewed intrest . either he or I will be starting a thread on the swap. I will be asking a lot of questions about little things like the throttle and shifting linkages that will make this whole thing work. ill keep you guys informed

·
Registered
534 Posts
ill probably be asking a whole lot of questions. right now, ill be using the 2v intake cause of the throttle linkage. but later on ill upgrade to 4v.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright now! Is that a 2 or 3? The 62 I built was such a great car. Love the little wings on those cars, the all steel dash, the trim pieces on top of the fenders. Not much body forward of the front tires and a long trunk area makes for a good hooking car. Hey, you're buddy's got a great hooker.

LR

·
Registered
6 Posts
Actually the Original Comet from 1960- 1961 october fas a ford and not a mercury.
it was An edsel originally and was orphaned when edsel closed in dec of 1959. so technically Ford made the comet.
The Comet was originally planned as an Edsel model. It was reassigned to Mercury dealerships, where it was marketed as a standalone product for 1960 and 1961 as the Comet. There was a 1960 Edsel, the final model year for Edsel, but there was no Edsel Comet, only the Comet sold at Mercury-Comet dealers starting in 1960.

Developed concurrently with the Ford Falcon, early pre-production photographs of the sedan show a car remarkably close to the Comet that emerged, but with a split grille following the pattern established by Edsel models. Early Ford styling mules for the station wagon model carried the Edsel name as well.

At their debut, the split grille was replaced by one more in keeping with Mercury's design themes. However, the canted elliptical taillights, first seen on the Edsel prototype, were used and carried the "E" (Edsel) part number on them. While the short lived 1960 Edsels used elliptical shaped taillights, the lenses used on both cars differed in length and width. Certain other parts from the 1959 Edsel parts bin, including the parking lights and dashboard knobs, were used on the first-year Comet. Keys for the 1960 and 1961 Comets were shaped like Edsel keys, with the center bar of the "E" removed to form a "C".

The "comet" name was trademarked to Cotner-Bevington as the Comet Coach Company, building ambulance and hearse commercial vehicles. Ford bought the name in 1959.

·
Registered
96 Posts
"Mercury" Comet
Actually the Original Comet from 1960- 1961 october fas a ford and not a mercury.

Nice history lesson, here's the VIN tag from my 1961 FORD - COMET.
The VIN illustrates it has no 'Mercury" on the description.

have fun

ai.postimg.cc_D8Z4W544_COMET_SS_00100_Copy_2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,073 Posts
Originally Comet was developed for Edsel and the Edsel sales division. In fact those early Comets had some Edsel part numbers and styling. When Edsel got the ax in 59/60, the 1960 / 1961 Comet had to go somewhere. Comet became part of the LM division. However in those first years, Comet was on it´s own as a sale division. The Mercury Comet division.
And all cars fall under Ford Motor Company.

Action

1 - 11 of 11 Posts