Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 E150 econoline, 4.7 V8, 98K. Engine has begun to mis-fire (again), normally within a few miles of it really being bad (under load, up hill) it will set an engine code, and I will change the COP (6 so far in 8 years). This time it just wont set any code, it mis-firing very badly (under load). Short of using the spare COP and just replacing every unit until I find the bad one, is any other way to find the cylinder? I do have a decent OBD unit that will show me live data, not sure where to look. any ideas?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Will it show you mode 6 data ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did a little more research before getting back to you, Yes the scanner I have will do mode 6, but lets make sure were on the same page. The scanner has a menu that allows me to enter a "non-continuous test" mode, I believe this is mode 6. In this mode I have access to the "mis-fire" tests (50,53,54,55,and 56) ( I downloaded the OBD info from the motorcraft site , good document). I'm going to go play with these tests a little bit to see if I can find the mis-fire, I believe the correct test would be #53, just not sure yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANK YOU Phantom, took a liitle more time with mode 6 and test 53, was expecting a list of all cylinders on one screen, upon closer look ( i should say upon paying attention) the scanner I have displays 1 cylinder per page, I needed to scroll through all 8, sure enough #6 had failed. I'm about to change the COP and see what happens. I'll let you know either way.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Mode 6 is an awesome tool. Have had several F series trucks with no light but a very pronounced miss. Found it every time.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
is mode 6 like a Big F-ing Stick?

that's what i would have used lol...

·
Registered
623 Posts
Glad you figured it out,good job !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts