Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled up to a stop sign on an uphill slope yesterday. As I tried to pull away, my '69 hardtop rolled back into the car behind me because my clutch went out and I couldn't react fast enough to hit the brake when I realized what had gone wrong. On a positive note, the fellow whose car I rolled into said that he needed to replace the bumper anyway and that it was no big deal and he saw no need to exchange contact and insurance information. As for my car, it's a project car anyway and, as such, is no creampuff (yet) and I wouldn't even have been able to tell whether any damage had occurred to my car. Adding to the mess, second gear on my T10 transmission is very notchy and it can be challenging to get the car into second gear sometimes, so, suffice it to say, the transmission needs work as well. :mad2:
Times like this can be very challenging. I would so very much like to put a T-5 in my car while I already have the transmission out for the clutch replacement, but to spend that kind of money with my current situation would not be very responsible. :nono:
Anyhow, thanks for the opportunity to vent. I'll keep you all posted on any new developments. Wish me luck! :biggrin5:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the clutch linkage, headers, and starter out. Now I have to get the driveshaft and shifter. After that, the transmission is next.
It's taken me this long mostly because I decided to focus on putting my '79 Fairmont back on the road so that I could take my time with the Mustang. That was before I dropped a small object down the intake manifold of its 200 ci six. I was so close! All I had to do was install the transmission cooler lines and the carburetor. Now I'm working on both cars.
I've decided I'll likely put the Mustang's transmission back in as-is, except for a McCleod hydraulic throwout bearing that I bought some years ago. I might stretch a bit more in the money department and get a decent set of headers. The ones I took off are a REAL hassle. I think they're no-name brand parts. I'm not impressed with the way that they seal to the heads. The primary tubes protrude past the header flange and press directly against the gasket. That makes for a very small sealing surface. I think I'll find a set with 3/8" thick flanges that provide more sealing surface area.
I'll keep you all updated as things change.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My how things can change!

I started a new job in mid July. I scrapped the plans to just replace the old clutch and have gotten a T5 that I found on Craigslist. It's out of a '87 Mustang. I got it for $350... with the bellhousing and factory shifter (complete with the shifter stick). I plan to eventually replace the T5 with a T56, but this will definitely fit the bill for now. Unfortunately, I didn't get the clutch fork cover. A replacement set me back $50. Yikes! I bought the correct 157-tooth flywheel with 28 oz external balance, a diaphragm-type clutch kit, and a transmission crossmember (I got it from Modern Driveline). The last remaining pieces I need to get are the slip yoke and the conversion clutch cable kit... unless my headers won't work with the clutch cable... and I just won't know until I put it all together. Ahhhh... good times! :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts