Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I inherited my dads project car. It’s a 64 with a 390 4 spd. Couple of questions, as I’m digging into my project.
1) I added a water temp, oil pressure sensor, and a voltage meter. The question I have, the idiot light for the oil pressure is just a simple stud on the filter housing? I’m assuming that’s just a linear reading and not the correct sending unit I need to make the gauge function. Can I tee off that filter housing with my current sensor and then use the sensor that comes with my gauge also? And is the water temp sensor anythinh different? I installed the one that came in the gauge in my intake as it had a nut on it.
2) I replaced the gauge feed harness with the one available from concours parts, and it has an extra black wire fairly long by the firewall, it looks like the factory harness had the same wire but capped off. Wondering if it can be eliminated or what it’s for.
Thanks in advance! I plan to ask way more questions down the road as I’m completely new to this!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
oil pressure sender is on/off for the light. yes you can tee into it for gauge. water temp is matched to the gauge

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oil pressure sender is on/off for the light. yes you can tee into it for gauge. water temp is matched to the gauge
Ok so would I still need the factory one I removed installed with the new one? Like into another tee? Or will the stock dash water temp gauge work with the new sensor I put in?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Welcome to FFO.

Sounds like the "concours parts" supplier did not include a wiring diagram ... does your ride have air conditioning? I've always assumed that's what the unconnected wire is for, but if you don't have a genuine Ford OEM factory service manual .. you should, as it will have some wiring diagrams. Don't waste money on non OEM. Hard copy on eBay as well as digital, plus a few suppliers such as faxon auto literature and FordManuals.com have sold me various manuals over the years.

When my dad installed mechanical oil and coolant tempeature gauges in the car in my sig in 1972, the original idiot light and water temp gauge were 'dead', but nearly 50 years, I'm just as glad to have less things to monitor anyway.

Kevin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to FFO.

Sounds like the "concours parts" supplier did not include a wiring diagram ... does your ride have air conditioning? I've always assumed that's what the unconnected wire is for, but if you don't have a genuine Ford OEM factory service manual .. you should, as it will have some wiring diagrams. Don't waste money on non OEM. Hard copy on eBay as well as digital, plus a few suppliers such as faxon auto literature and FordManuals.com have sold me various manuals over the years.

When my dad installed mechanical oil and coolant tempeature gauges in the car in my sig in 1972, the original idiot light and water temp gauge were 'dead', but nearly 50 years, I'm just as glad to have less things to monitor anyway.

Kevin
Hey Kevin,
Thanks for the reply. I ended up finding a service manual that lists all the circuits in the car. The wire I questioned is actually (according to this) a windshield washer wire.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Why did you want to replace the water temp gauge unless the one in the car is not functional? A relative indication of engine temperature is all you really need to see if the engine is functioning properly. You don't need an absolute reading. If you really want to install a water temperature gauge, you can keep the stock unit in place and then look for a plug that goes into a water passage. There might be one in the intake manifold near the thermostat housing, or maybe even one in the thermostat housing itself. That will give you a place to install the new temperature sensor for the gauge.

Instead of a voltmeter, think about installing an ammeter instead. It gives you a better idea of what the charging system is actually doing. Battery voltage, and therefore system voltage varies with temperature so it isn't the best indicator as to whether the battery is being overcharged or is slowly being discharged.

An oil pressure gauge is a good idea since the idiot light only tells you that the oil pressure is low or zero.

Hope these suggestions help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts