Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in my 69 ford e100 that has the 290 straight 6 it just started doing this but it runs rough and a stop unless the choke is pulled all the way out. so i did a pretty good tune up on it( plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ignition coil, fuel filter) and now it will start and idle but while in gear or under load it seems like one or more cylinders are dying out. can anyone help out that has ran into this.... thanks awolf

·
Registered
133 Posts
in my 69 ford e100 that has the 290 straight 6 it just started doing this but it runs rough and a stop unless the choke is pulled all the way out. so i did a pretty good tune up on it( plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ignition coil, fuel filter) and now it will start and idle but while in gear or under load it seems like one or more cylinders are dying out. can anyone help out that has ran into this.... thanks awolf
What about the air filter?

·
Registered
944 Posts
...but it runs rough and a stop unless the choke is pulled all the way out. ....
To me, this means you don't have enough fuel entering the engine. I would start with the carburetor. Perhaps a sticky float, or stuck inlet needle, or plugged jet or....? Might also change the fuel filter.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
These engines have mechanical fuel pumps, and suck the gas from the tank. I had a dry rotted fuel line between the tank, and the metal line that ran under the car to the fuel pump. It didn't leak gas, but it did allow the pump to pull in air, and cause the engine to starve for fuel.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sorry awolf, I was under the impression from your post that you solved the choke issue by doing the tune up you listed?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Also carbed vehicles will often have two fuel filters; one in line and the other (well still inline) but right at the carburetor.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My '66 352 has a filter on the bottom of the fuel pump, on the side of the block. It is about 2.5 inches in diameter and 4/5 inches tall, with a replaceable element. Spins off like an oil filter. If you can see down the carb, there should be a nice squirt of fuel when you rev the engine, if it comes out strong at first then peters out , the carb is probably fine and its a fuel flow issue. Usually when the pump goes bad, it will weep through the blown diaphragm, out of the weep holes onto the ground AND into the crankcase Rich

·
Registered
534 Posts
choke closed, runs better, mabey too much air? vacuum leak somewhere? mabey in or near carb?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
why not upgrade to a 300? you'd get way better fuel mileage, and response from a fuel injected 300 inline 6...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so i had my mechanic friend look at it and i have the 300 block in it and another thing i noticed before all this happened was that after driving for a while and would shut it off when i got back in it smelled strong of gas...kinda like the carb was loading up or like the ruturn line wasnt working properly. would that cause alot of this to be going on??? thanks all

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
could be

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Really? How could that be?

I wouldn't think so, it seems to me that the engine is running lean unless he pulls the choke out.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Really? How could that be?

I wouldn't think so, it seems to me that the engine is running lean unless he pulls the choke out.
i believe it was mentioned in a previous post,runs with choke closed

·
Registered
154 Posts
"noticed before all this happened was that after driving for a while and would shut it off when i got back in it smelled strong of gas...kinda like the carb was loading up"
Sounds to me that the needle is sticking or your float has gone bad. Rebuild your carb, its so easy a caveman like me can do it, and it costs around $20. Rich

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
in my 69 ford e100 that has the 290 straight 6 it just started doing this but it runs rough and a stop unless the choke is pulled all the way out.
Yes Lincolndriver, it was in his original post.

I dissagree with jonzo, but am willing to learn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
ok so im thinking about just replacing the carb with a holly double barrel with an electric choke... problem is that im not sure of the difference between a manual and a electric choke...? and if it will work properly in my van...bear with me im a fast learner.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
That's interesting.

Did you look for vacuum leaks?

·
Registered
154 Posts
ok so im thinking about just replacing the carb with a holly double barrel with an electric choke... problem is that im not sure of the difference between a manual and a electric choke...? and if it will work properly in my van...bear with me im a fast learner.
You need to run 12v switched from the ignition. Other than that, will it even bolt on?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts