Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my 2005 E150 with 160K miles (the one on which I have been doing a complete mechanical overhaul) aligned and the shop said I need all four front ball joints replaced. How do I confirm this? I notice no problem driving. Is this normal at 150k miles?

Cheers,

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
Just had my 2005 E150 with 160K miles (the one on which I have been doing a complete mechanical overhaul) aligned and the shop said I need all four front ball joints replaced. How do I confirm this? I notice no problem driving. Is this normal at 150k miles?

Cheers,

·
Super Moderator
13,671 Posts
Likely one is worn or loose. Many shops will replace all because of age and use.

For the DYI ....
With the vehicle lifted so at least one tire is off the ground, pry or push up on that tire. If there is movement the ball joint is worn. Technically the movement less than 1/4" is acceptable and the cheap method I stated it is difficult to see movement less than 1/4"

Action

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dominic and Action. Did the test and ball joints look fine to me. No movement on trying to raise wheel and boots not torn. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,671 Posts
If there is little to no tire wear and the vehicle goes down the road straight even when you remove your hands from the steering wheel, you are good to go.

I would not return to that shop.

Action

1 - 5 of 5 Posts