Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'02 Escape, passenger door won't unlock, from what I've read and been able to find out, the latch mechanism has failed due to breakdown of plastic parts inside........my question is, How do I go about defeating the latch so that I can open the door so I can remove the inside door panel to have access to the latch for replacement? I read on another forum that someone had the same problem and a repair guy used a steel rod and a hammer to slide between window and door panel to break the latch, if this is what I need to do, can someone tell me exactly where to put the rod to break the latch?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I wouldn't suggest a hammer and a bar,you may do more harm than good.What I would suggest is to try to remove the door panel from the inside.It is not easy but doable.You may have to recline the seat fully and slide the seat back and forth a few times.Once you get all the mounting screws out get a door trim panel removal tool from a place like AutoZone,there short money.Work the tool between the door and panel and slide it up and down till you come to the plastic clips.Use the tool as a lever to pop the clips out of the door.Repeat this all the way around the door except for the top portion as no clips hold there.When all the clips are released you should be able to pull the door panel up and out of the way to access the door latch.make sure the glass is all the way down to facilatate the removal of the panel.I have attached the latch assy from the manual.Hope this helps you out.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the diagram..........getting inside the door is what I can't do, 2 of the 4 screws that hold the inside panel on are located on the front edge of the door, which is covered by the dash when door is closed, and on the back side of the door which inaccessible when the door is closed, can't remove the panel, if I could I wouldn't be trying to defeat the latch.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Lower the glass all the way and grab the top of the door panel and pull it up and over the edge.This should revel a felt weatherstrip.Pull the weatherstrip out.Put the window back up and you should be able to see the latch assy.I would suggest using a long skinny flatblade screwdriver to trip the latch assy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been there, done all that, on advice from a local body shop, I removed the door panel from the driver's door and got a look at what I'm working with and how to trip the lock................have used a mirror on a flexible shaft with a led flex shaft light source to see inside passenger's door, fabricated a tool from a trim removal too to try and do the trick, it all worked except the lever I need to trip is jammed, probably by some internal piece in the latch............I'm all out of ideas except knocking off the old latch, just want to know where to put the bar to accomplish this. Thanks for continuing to come back with answers, don't mean to keep shooting you down.

I've emailed FORD, am waiting for the guys in Detroit to come up with something.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
If you open the rear door,can you see the striker pin? If so you may be able to use a sawsall to cut the pin and open the door.The pin you can get at any bone yard. just a thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not an option, door post completely hides all that, gotta hand it to the guys at FORD, they made this door almost impossible to get open if the latch fails.:confused:

·
Registered
944 Posts
The only other thing I can think of is force your way thru the interior door panel. Removing the seat may be necessary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That option may be my last resort, depends on whether I can find another door panel for cheap at the boneyard, new ones are a little expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got email reply from FORD.............no help, they told me to see my dealer and their highly trained technicians.............they've never seen this before, and had nothing in the computer from FORD about it................I appear to be screwed, on the other hand, I have a THREE door Escape that can't be "escaped" from............at least not through the passenger door.:mad2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts