Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 2001 Excursion and noticed that my locking hubs won't turn at all! Not sure what to check at this point. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Only thing I can suggest right now is to shift the transfer case into nuetral, ( with the E-brake on, of course ) and then try them. I'm not sure about the newer trucks, but the 81 F150 I used to have would do that sometimes. Putting the t-case in neutral and rocking it slightly would usually do it. Never did figure out why it would bind like that. If that doesn't do it, I would take it to either the dealer or an off-road shop that has experience with those diffs. Let us know what you find out!

Z

·
Registered
46 Posts
if you plan on doing any real off-roading you should replace them with WARN heavy duty manual hubs. the stock hubs have a big problem with breaking. my passenger side stock hub desintigrated on me while i was on the trail. i installed a Dynatrac combo kit and love it.

zephyrman; the excursions have an electronically operated transfer case. unfortunately there is no neutral.

you could try jacking that tire up and try to lock it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Ahh crap, I never thought of that, my bad.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Do you have auto hubs or manual?
Diesel or Gas engine?
Auto hubs are locked/unlock with vacuum. If you replace them with warn hubs be sure to block off the vacuum supply to them or:
1. Gas engine will run poorly,
2. Diesel engine the electric vacuum pump will run constantly, burning up.
Either engine will cause your heater controls to stick on defrost.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Jim, one thing I know for sure is the Excursions have manual hubs, like the Super Duty's

·
Registered
798 Posts
Jim, one thing I know for sure is the Excursions have manual hubs, like the Super Duty's
I agree, but....... They can be manually selected to 2 positions,
LOCK and AUTO.......plastic POS!

Picture Stolen from Guzzels web site:

awww.guzzle7pt3.com_pics_ah13.jpg

·
Registered
659 Posts
I recalled a TSB 03-14-3 for the Excursion Hubs. I must apologize that I was unable to attach it as a .pdf file as it is long. I have also taken the liberty of including the TSB 03-4-1.
TSB Article No. 03-14-3
SUSPENSION - 4X4 WHEEL HUB NON-ENGAGEMENT/DISENGAGEMENT

FORD:

2000-2003 EXCURSION, SUPER DUTY F SERIES

ISSUE

Some 2000-2003 F-250/350 and Excursion 4X4 equipped vehicles may experience a condition where the front hubs will not engage or disengage properly. It is possible that the vacuum necessary to operate the hub is being restricted.

ACTION

Insure that the flow of vacuum is not being restricted through the hub. Perform Workshop Manual diagnosis per Section 308-07-A Pin Point Test G. If no problems are found in Pin Point Test G, perform the following procedure to relieve restriction in the vacuum path through the wheel end.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Remove both wheel hub assemblies (See WHEEL HUB removal procedure under Section 204-01B: FRONT SUSPENSION).

2. Remove thrust washer located between the wheel hub assembly and the axle constant shaft (This gray plastic thrust washer is approximately 2-3/4" OD, and has four slots on the back side).

NOTE KNUCKLE SEAL DOES NOT NEED TO BE REPLACED FOR THIS PROCEDURE.

3. File four (4) 1/8" to 1/4" "KEYWAYS" into the inside diameter of the thrust washer.

NOTE THE THRUST WASHER REQUIRES ONLY A LIGHT FILM OF GREASE. REMOVE ANY EXCESSIVE GREASE FROM WASHER, AND CAVITY BEFORE INSTALLATION.

NOTE THE ADDITION OF THE KEYWAYS AND THE REMOVAL OF EXCESSIVE GREASE WILL ALLOW VACUUM TO PASS, UNRESTRICTED, FROM THE KNUCKLE, THROUGH THE HUB, AND TO THE HUB LOCK.

4. Reassemble wheel end per Workshop Manual Section 204-01B.

NOTE DURING RE-ASSEMBLY, REPLACE YELLOW BEARING 0-RING WITH PART NUMBER F81Z-A322-AA. REPLACE HUBLOCK 0-RING WITH PART NUMBER F81Z-1K106-AA. THE 0-RINGS ARE CRUCIAL FOR PROPER VACUUM SEQUENCE OPERATION AND FUNCTION OF THE HUBLOCK.

TSB Article No. 03-4-1
FRONT LOCKING HUBS - SERVICE TIP

FORD:

1999-2003 SUPER DUTY F SERIES
2000-2003 EXCURSION

Article 00-8-6 is being republished in its entirety to update the model year coverage.

ISSUE

This TSB provides information on the 4X4 system, particularly the front locking hubs.

ACTION

Refer to the following text for information regarding the 4X4 system and the front wheel hub locks.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

4X4 ESOF LOCKING HUB: DIAGNOSTIC AND SERVICE ISSUES

Many system components are involved in proper operation of the ESOF (Electronic Shift-On-The-Fly) locking hubs on 1999 and newer Super Duty and Excursion 4X4 vehicles. Before diagnosing the hub locks themselves as the cause of 4X4 concerns, be sure to verity all related system components.

HUB LOCK OPERATION

The Super Duty and Excursion 4X4 ESOF system uses timed vacuum sequences to lock and unlock the wheel ends. A high vacuum level is used to engage the hub locks, and a lower vacuum level is used to disengage the hub locks, after which the vacuum is released, and the hub lock holds itself in the proper mode. The vacuum signals are supplied to the hub locks by system components, including Generic Electronic Module (GEM), wiring harness, solenoid, vacuum harness, and vacuum seals. As a first step in service, eliminate such obvious items as loose wiring connections, loose vacuum connections, or damaged vacuum lines.

DISENGAGE TIME

"Slow" release of the hub locks is not considered abnormal for this system. Anytime vacuum is applied to the hubs, whether for 4X4 or 4X2, the hub locks will initially engage. If 4X4 was requested, they will remain engaged, but if 4X2 was selected, the internal mechanism will release only after the GEM timers expire and vacuum is vented from the hub. This normally takes 15 seconds, but can take up to 2 minutes depending on how the 4X4 mode switch was operated. After the hub mechanism releases, internal springs must work the hub lock gears to the disengaged position. Road bumps, vehicle speed, acceleration cycles, or momentary reversal of direction can assist this process, varying the length of time the hub locks remain engaged in each situation.

MANUAL OVERRIDE

The hub locks have manual override selector dials which, when rotated to the "lock' position, will keep the mechanism locked regardless of the instrument panel 4X4 mode switch position. Verify that both dials are in "auto" before evaluating ESOF operation.

MATCHING PAIRS NOT REQUIRED

Left and right side hub locks are not connected other than by the common vacuum supply line. If a malfunction in either hub lock is diagnosed, it should be replaced as an individual unit; there is no need to "balance" an axle with new hub locks on both sides. If both sides appear to be malfunctioning, be sure to verify upstream system integrity before replacing both hub locks.

HUB LOCK REMOVAL

After removing the hub lock retaining ring, be sure not to use tools other than hands or "grip" gloves as damage may occur to either the paint or function of the hub lock. Pliers or channel locks should be only considered as a last resort as they will usually damage the hub lock, making replacement necessary.

HUB CONTAMINATION

If contamination (water, mud, etc.) is found in the hub cavity, look for the source. If it is due to system leaks other than the hub lock, they must be found and repaired. Always replace the hub lock 0-ring before re-use.

TORSIONAL FAILURE

If a torsional failure (twisting fracture) of the hub lock is suspected or the internal gears are "shattered", the axle constant shaft may have been damaged as well. Inspect the axle shaft carefully; if twisting has occurred at the base of the axle splines, it is difficult to see without removing the bearing assembly.

RATCHETING

If a "ratcheting" noise is found especially over road bumps and potholes, suspect the needle bearing that supports the inboard end of the axle constant shaft within the hub/bearing assembly. Eliminate this as a cause before servicing the hub lock. Wear at this bearing can set up vibration, which may be heard as ratcheting, while a seized bearing can bind the shaft, forcing it to rotate in 4X2.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Plastic? Really? Wow, next to the Edsel and the 255 v8, possibly the dumbest thing Ford ever did

·
Registered
128 Posts
Plastic? Really? Wow, next to the Edsel and the 255 v8, possibly the dumbest thing Ford ever did

Yup, and they are darned expensive too... I had to replace mine about 2 years ago.

oh and zeph, if you are from the land of disorder and chaos, just how is DC these days?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Haha, couldn't tell ya, the land of disorder and chaos is my house, I got two young kids. I'm Canadian, eh?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts