Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, need your opinion. am rebuilding my 77 gt 300k miles. car runs great looked ok. i let my son use it to go to orlando. He fell asleep and crunched front end. drove it home, parked it in d/w then proceeded to dissamble front clip knowing it would be easy to get another one. well six weeks later and one nasty note from code enforcement I had to act fast. I found another clip it was perfect,but it wasnt a ranchero. I had no choice and I couldnt pass it up for the price...$150 AND THEY PULLED IT!! so what do you guys think? any and all comments appreciated
thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Looks fine to me... If everything lines up & bolts up ok.You're good to go... Just keep in mind. If later down the road you fix this up as a show car. You will lose points for not having the right nose clip. So don't forget what you did...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looks fine to me... If everything lines up & bolts up ok.You're good to go... Just keep in mind. If later down the road you fix this up as a show car. You will lose points for not having the right nose clip. So don't forget what you did...:thumbsup:
printman, mabey you didnt get a good look, thats a Cougar front end. I think i would get more points for ingenuity:eek:
but thanks for the thumbs up!

·
Registered
262 Posts
printman, mabey you didnt get a good look, thats a Cougar front end. I think i would get more points for ingenuity:eek:
but thanks for the thumbs up!
Well you just have to excuse my lack of knowledge when it comes to old fords...All my sporty cars were Chevy's. So I still bleed Chevy blue...:)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well you just have to excuse my lack of knowledge when it comes to old fords...All my sporty cars were Chevy's. So I still bleed Chevy blue...:)
no worries. friend:D

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I hope that you let your son pay for it, and do the installation.

It looks great, if not a little unusual.

Most people wouldn't know the difference.

Who knows?... You might start a new trend!

How did you know that clip would fit?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope that you let your son pay for it, and do the installation.

It looks great, if not a little unusual.

Most people wouldn't know the difference.

Who knows?... You might start a new trend!

How did you know that clip would fit?
actually, that led to the demise of the ranchero. most ford models from 77-79 shared the exact same body lines, ranchero,tbird,ltdII,and cougar were soo close that people didnt want to buy them. everything from the doors back was interchangeable.
my son barely knows how to change a tire, but he will check fluids and tire pressure:yesnod:. I think his wife knows more about autos than he does.
btw, thanks for the thumbs up!

·
Registered
262 Posts
actually, that led to the demise of the ranchero. most ford models from 77-79 shared the exact same body lines, ranchero,tbird,ltdII,and cougar were soo close that people didnt want to buy them. everything from the doors back was interchangeable.
my son barely knows how to change a tire, but he will check fluids and tire pressure:yesnod:. I think his wife knows more about autos than he does.

I think this is good info that I never knew before. Had no ideal that so many parts were interchangeable with Ford products. Maybe you can do a write up on parts that are interchangeable for those years & models... I'll probably never need the info. But I'm sure plenty of others could use this info...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks printman31 I may just do that

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
That'd be a great idea!

Maybe people can start a whole line of Franken-Cars :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I guess its time for him to learn:yesnod:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ouch

What's a chevy guy doin hangin round here?
hey,man we dont know each other for you to cuss me like that.lol
what gave you that idea?not cause im trying to sell a buick?
is it?
A GM guy,pffft!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm just learning myself, but I'll share my experience with using other Ford parts to fix up my 68 Ranchero...I went to a giant old car scrap yard in Denton, TX...called CTC Auto Ranch(HIGHLY SUGGEST LOOKING AT THEM FOR ANY HARD-TO-FIND PARTS FOR ANY CLASSIC). I needed to find a shroud and a driver-side window. Driver side windows are hard to come by(the old roll-up, glued into the door pannel types). I pulled that out of a 67 Ranchero. That's no big deal, but the shroud I pulled from a 68 Galaxy 500. At the junk yard I walked around and compared parts and it appeared the Galaxy, Fairlane, Torino, Ranchero, etc. all used the same exact parts. I found no difference between them. Leaving the yard, my very knowledgable uncle(a car mechanic) explained how Ford back then did everything they could to re-use any and every part in all of the different model cars they made. I found this piece of advice giving me some peace of mind knowing I could extend my search to finding parts for my car from a whole slew of other model cars around the same year. :)

I admire the creativity btw!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Adonailove, very good observation,but just for clarity, the doors will fit, but not the door windows, fyi and thanks for the share.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts