Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapping my FMX for a C6 and need to get rid of 4" of drive shaft. I need a 56" if anyone has one. Otherwise I need to shorten.

I've only seen my dad do this a few times but as I remember, he cut the weld on the end and the U joint piece was about 2" deep into the drive shaft.

I don't know if I can cut mine. It narrows down right on the ends.

Any suggestion welcome.

I found a site that will do custom aluminum shafts for about $500 but rather not drop 500 right now.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Shortening a drive shaft is not something the DIY's should be doing unless your looking for that driveline vibration at about 50 mph and above.leave it to the pros to cut,weld and balance your old shaft.

·
Registered
534 Posts
i used central florida driveshaft. now b4 you say anything, i know where you live in relation to where the shop is. Its in Lakeland and one other in Orlando. they are good on the phone, dont need the vehicle and will tell you exactly how to measure for perfect fit. I am suggesting this cause they might ship or suggest someone in your area. They can cut, but to cut and rebalance is not much cheaper than to make a new one. they charged me less than two hundred dollars but i had to use my old yoke. I used them on my 77 ranchero and my 88 mk vii when i went to t-5.
If interested or just curious they're # is 863-666-3874
hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
1,024 Posts
I agree, have some one to make one or mod. yours. I just had to go through the same thing...but I needed to gain 2" with mine. Lucky me I happen to have a friend who collects Drive shafts. He has a rack about 15' long and full of different lengths and diameters...even aluminum stacked up to your chest high. I dug threw the pile and found one with in a 1/4" of what I needed. 35$ later it was mine. Invested in two new U-joints and reused both ends of my old shaft yokes.
So, maybe you can find some one near you like that !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts