Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New engine I bought a motor to Summit to fit in my 1994 Ford bronco it came from a company I’m not going to say I was looking for something about a 300 hp I am putting it into a 1994 Ford bronco EFI I installed it it is not running at all right I called up the company and asked them and they say this engine should not be put into that vehicle I’ve talked to a lot of mechanics and they’re scratching their heads first question to start with why they say the timing should be 34 and 36° with no vacuum port basically plugged off at carburetor like a few feedback well keep adding more

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,253 Posts
The whole post is a run on sentence.
You might give us some data. Like which engine is this? 302, 390 six or ?????

And if we look at this, "first question to start with why they say the timing should be 34 and 36° with no vacuum port basically plugged off at carburetor like a few feedback well keep adding more"

Why they say? Not sure and asking THEM the why question would be best.
And what engine RPM?
Total ignition timing of the mid 30s would be typical for a stock engine.
Vacuum advance is used for improving fuel economy when the engine is not under load.

Action

Reactions: TBIRD430

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,253 Posts
It depends on the fuel injection system.
Since a factory port or direct fuel injection system was never made for the Cleveland series, you will need to use an indirect system where the fuel is injected as a carb replacement.
It is the firing order. The factory injected the Windsor engine series in all ways. The Cleveland engine series was never injected at all and has a different firing order.

Action

· Registered
164 Posts
so you had a 302 and now you have installed a 351 with all the 302 intake what is the flywheel that you used this motor is 28oz there is also 50oz you say it does not run ? wont start and idle ? need more info to help

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,253 Posts
The difference is the 351 above has a Cleveland ignition firing order.
The 302 and the 351 based off of the 302 will have a Windsor block firing order.

Installing a fuel system or ignition system based on the 351 Windsor block onto a Cleveland block does not work.

Action

· Registered
164 Posts
like action said put carb manifold on get the correct distributor and if you want fuel injected run holley or fitech trottle body with your current fuel pump very easy to hook up since you have o2 sensor and the coolant sensor and fuel system

· Registered
560 Posts
That would not be a Cleveland engine. My guess would be that the cam is not compatible with the EFI. I would expect that the 94 Bronco had MAF and was not Speed Density, but it may not be compatible with the stock tune. The ECM may need to be tuned to provide the correct fuelling for the engine. If the injectors are batch fired, then that shouldn't matter, but if the 94 has sequential injector firing, then the computer needs to be tuned, or the harness re-pinned, for the 351 firing order. The engine doesn't care what vehicle it is installed, however it does care what is controlling it's fuel and ignition delivery.

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,253 Posts
in 1994 the Ford Bronco came with the big six and a choice of two Windsor V8 engines. A 302 and 351
Assuming two things about this 5th gen Bronco - the original engine was a V8 and the second thing is using the factory engine controls.
The original engine control system is designed for a Windsor block firing order of 15426378.
The replacement engine was designed with a firing order of 13726548. (attachment post #3) Which means the cam and crank are designed for that firing order. Or the firing order like a Cleveland engine from back in the 70s

The recommended intake (Weiland 8023) from the engine builder is NOT port injection. That intake might be used with some type of central fuel injection design like Ford used in the early 80s. And a carb based manifold is this choice.

One of the last statements on the attachments in post #3 is. Will not work with Ford factory speed density EFI or F Series trucks, Broncos or Vans. Of which this vehicle is a Bronco. This is because those trucks used a (cheaper) speed density EFI system. The speed-density system gets most of its feedback information from engine and throttle sensors. Additionally, the vehicle's speed sensor is attached to the back of the speedometer head. The alternative would have been a mass airflow (MAF) sensor system that was used on cars with V8 engines and multiport fuel injection in the later 80s.

Action

· Registered
172 Posts
That's a lot of cam for a stock EFI setup. Unless you can find a way to get into it and make some tuning adjustments. It's probably confusing the computer because it probably has low vacuum and it's trying to adjust the fuel trims. What do the plugs look like?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts