Ford Automobiles banner

New guy, new 'Mont and some questions

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  VAMP_77 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 1980 2 door sedan. It was originally a 4 cylinder with a manual but now has an I6 with an automatic..It seems to be in decent shape but needs engine work and a driver's side window.

How hard will it be to replace the glass? The car doesn't have vent windows or sail mirrors. Anyone know of a window that isn't being used?

What rear axle gear ratios were available? Would they be low enough if one was to add an AOD or would a gear swap need to take place too?

What are the best engine swaps and how difficult are they? What is the most straight forward? 302, 4.6L, V6s, etc. Anybody ever put in a 300 I6? How do I tell if I still have the 4 cylinder cross member?

Blah,Blah,Blah :lol:

#2 ·
I just purchased a 1980 2 door sedan. It was originally a 4 cylinder with a manual but now has an I6 with an automatic..It seems to be in decent shape but needs engine work and a driver's side window.

How hard will it be to replace the glass? The car doesn't have vent windows or sail mirrors. Anyone know of a window that isn't being used?
Find glass in the junk yards.

What rear axle gear ratios were available? Would they be low enough if one was to add an AOD or would a gear swap need to take place too?
Really depends on what your plans are and what you already have.

What are the best engine swaps and how difficult are they? What is the most straight forward? 302, 4.6L, V6s, etc. Anybody ever put in a 300 I6? How do I tell if I still have the 4 cylinder cross member?
300 I6...have not heard and most likely will not fit. 302 would be the easiest swap. 200 I6 will not bolt up to the 4 or 8 cyl. K-member (which are the same) unless some one made custom mounts.
Blah,Blah,Blah :lol:
Welcome to the site !

#6 ·
3 hours 12 minutes / 209.55 miles to Fairmont MN from Des Moines IA. hrmm...Stymee, make sure he knows about the ...
I don't know that I'll have the car road worthy by then. Also I plan on attending the Vintage Power Wagons Rally in Fairfield, IA that Saturday so I wouldn't be able to make it. I'm building a 1970 Dodge D100 but it's more of a long term project. Maybe if this is a yearly thing I'll make it another time.

#7 ·
the ratio's depend on what axle you have, but i think all the options were 2.73, 3.08, 3.27, 3.45. any are perfect with an AOD... If it originally had the 4 cyl. you'll need to upgrade the trans to the C4 if it doesn't already have one, wait, AOD, nevermind... you'll have to work your way up to 10 posts so you can show pics, and we'll be able to help much more from there...
welcome

#8 ·
Is there a particular year or years of engine that would be better to look for? Lets say I found a 1990 302/AOD out of a Crown Victoria, would it have a ECU and a bunch of sensors? Would the AOD be electronically controlled or is this still early enough to not be? Could all this stuff be removed if necessary? At this point I'm looking to do something simple and get it on the road. Maybe in the future after my truck is finshed I could go crazy with the modifications.

I'm working on the 10 posts but I don't even have a camera. Something else for my list of things to get.

#9 ·
all AOD's are Vacuum controlled. the AODE is the electronic one. if you're lucky enough to find a perfectly running 5.0 in the boneyard, you can run it, but guys have had better luck with carb's

#10 ·
to new mont

Personally I wouldn't put anything in but a V8. Any engine install is easy and straightforward. Do yourself a huge favor and put a tubular k frame in before you install your V8. They are inexpensive and give you TONS of room to work. There are some out there on Craigslist CHEAP - AJE is what I prefer, but QA1 makes a good one also. As soon as I get my 10 posts, I will post detailed pics of my car and the undercarriage.

#12 ·
most everyone would agree, but as you know because your one of us, we do things differently then others. Thats why we all have f/z's...to be different, to extend our personalities. plus, zephyrman is just wierd !!! :crazy:

i agree with the above post !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.