Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a chance to buy a 1957 Fairlane in excellent condition, numbers matching and mostly unmolested.
Body and paint are very good. The dash has a couple of cracks in it but otherwise the interior is excellent.
It has the original Y block 312 motor. I was thinking of doing a cam, headers and maybe a 3 deuce intake. I'm not looking to go fast, I just want the cool Factor.
The car is priced at around 8 Grand. Is that a decent price, and is there any sourcing for the performance parts? And thank you very much

·
Administrator
15,597 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!
If you buy it let us know and post pictures.

Action

Reactions: TBIRD430

·
Registered
605 Posts
If the innards are as solid as the two photos, great price (and of course tutone Red/White is always a favorite.

Never driven a '57; my uncle had a new one WAY long ago. I remember sitting in his lap while I drove around the town square. Later we had lunch and I told my grandparents that their son had a beer with lunch - gave him something to bust my chops about the rest of his life.

On a more technical note, if you go for headers (and maybe you know already), some fitment challenges may exist wrt the starter. Depending on the tooth count of the ring gear (or flywheel), you may need something like this unit; At the very least it has reasoable installation instructions wrt to spacing and positioning the solenoid. OTOH, you may go with totally custom headers, rending this paragraph moot.

Enjoy!
Kevin

·
Administrator
15,597 Posts
Awesome

Be careful with power increases. Some will shorten engine life,

Action

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome

Be careful with power increases. Some will shorten engine life,

Action
I'm really on the fence about messing with at all. It's all original and mostly unmolseted. I'd like the dual carbs mostly for cosmetics. I wouldn't try to make it something it isn't intended to be. If it was rough or had non original drive train, it would be party time.

·
Administrator
15,597 Posts
Drive it for a bit before making any decisions.

Looks to be a very nice ride. Especially for the price.

Action

·
Registered
590 Posts
My wife decided we couldn't.....live without it. Not sure when she's coming home but the deal is done. View attachment 50112 View attachment 50113
2 door hardtop, NICE. I was about to ask you what body style it was.

I would leave her as is myself. Only add sway bars if is she dosen't already have them & add wide whitehwall radial tires.

Is she a Ford-o-matic auto??

These classics are better than any '57 Chevy Bel-Air too. Ford actually outsold the Chevy & Mopar back in 1957 too!!!

-Jon in TX.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She's really clean and almost totally original. Newer carb and some moron screwed aftermarket gauges to the bottom of the dash. I will leave the carb unless it's too big and get the gauges out of there ASAP. The only thing I'm seriously considering is replacing the distributor with a modern one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts