Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 96 5.4 e350 (on permanent propane) with a doghouse that's hot enough to fry eggs on the passenger side. I think I've found the issue, but I have no idea what this/these part/parts are.

Can anyone let me know what they are, and whether it's OK to use any old heater hose to MacGyver it so I can get going, until I can find the right replacement/OEM part.
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Wood

Many thanks in advance.

Andy.

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

The hose that is missing is part of the Thermactor Air Injection system.

The answer is yes and no.
The larger round valve the hose clamps onto is a check valve. That valve keeps air going in one directions. Air is pumped from the hose side to the metal side into the exhaust system to complete the burn process.
It looks like the check valves are passing gas the other direction. That exhause gas is very hot and burned out the existing hose.
You have multiple issues because of this
An exhaust leak in the and around the engine which is very close to humans. Carbon monoxide poisoning is not fun
You have a loud or louder exhaust leak situation
The engine is not operating at the most efficient. There are O2 sensors and cat converters down stream that are operating under an exhaust leak situation. So the air/fuel mixture is being adjusted based on bad chemical data
Other plastic or rubber pieces near by are in danger of being melted
And the emissions is suffering as well.

A heater hose will not last long with a bad check valve
The factory hose may be high temp silicone

I think that assembly is one unit with the hoses crimped to the valves.

Action

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that info. I don't know if the check valves are faulty, but... I got some hi temp hose today and McGyvered a repair. Much quieter and no.longer hot. I got some spare hose in case this repair melts too! Just need it to last for a week or two, then I'll look at a proper replacement option.

Thank.you for the info!

Andy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts