Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I just joined the webpage and hopefully get some help in decoding my recent purchase.
I was able to track down and purchase a 1963 1/2 Galaxie 500 XL 390 / 4 speed out of North Carolina. 77K miles on it.
I been looking for Z code 4 speed model for a few years not many of these around.
This one is a little rarer though it is a Factory P code car but the engine was replaced years ago with a 63 Z code 390 Gold Thunderbird Valve covers and air cleaner.
Needs some floor patching but overall pretty solid car the issue I have is its missing the trim tag on the car the VIN tag is original under hood.
This car was pretty loaded as an XL dual mirrors, and I think it had fender skirts originally.
Any one now how I can get a Trim tag or DSO or any details on how this car came from the factory>
All P code models had manual brakes / steering this does..
VIN - 3N66P154XXX (I left off the last 3 digits)
From my research Ford did not make allot of these fastbacks and even rarer with a 390 4speed XL and in a P code.
My plan for the car is not to restore it but create another Stock Car Clone from 63 possibly a Fireball Roberts version.
I did one back in 2014 same car model but a Dan Gurney clone so my new acquisition may go the Stock Car route.
Thanks again for any advice that you can provide.
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Plant
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Hood
Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!
3N66P xxxxxx
3 = 1963
N = Norfolk VA assembly plant
66 = Not sure - A 65 is a convertible. A 67 ia a 500 XL
P = 390 4V Police Interceptor engine - This will have solid lifters

The warranty data plate is shown below. Riveted to the drivers door opening. Will have all of the other codes

Action

Font Parallel Circle Advertising Brand

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
The rims may be 15" instead of the stock 14". If correct they are high speed wheels. Welded not riveted.
There are some other nuances
A 2 door with P code engine is rather rare. Most P codes are 4 doors.

I think the lack of a 66 body code is that it may have been created in the mid-year changes. Was not a code used in the start of the model years

Action

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the FFO!
3N66P xxxxxx
3 = 1963
N = Norfolk VA assembly plant
66 = Not sure - A 65 is a convertible. A 67 ia a 500 XL
P = 390 4V Police Interceptor engine - This will have solid lifters

The warranty data plate is shown below. Riveted to the drivers door opening. Will have all of the other codes

Action

View attachment 49686
No trim tag on the vehicle or any rivet holes on the door or door hinge area..
The Motor is long gone and I will have to check the tag on the axle for gear ratio also the original wheels long gone someone knew these were worth something back in the day.
The hood center strip from what I have discovered is a pretty rare option I think its a dealer install item plus with the dual mirrors weird.
I will be stripping down all of the trim and windshield surround interior stuff and probably sell it once I have it all together.
The guy that owned it way back had all kinds of extra side trim pieces, three sets of headlight trim, extra grille 4 sets of door entry seal plates lots of bucket seat side trim 3 taillight assemblies.
I tried to get a Marti report but they dont go past 65 so I am kind of stuck unless I can find a company to run a query on the car to get a Build sheet or something.
Not taillight panel, trunk lower trim, or rocker trim or I would have 100% of al exterior trim.

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
The reason Marti does not have data on vehicles prior to 1967 is because of a fire. Kevin Marti bought all of the documents Ford was willing to sell after they had that fire in 1970 in a records room in a Museum. Ford Vehicle Production Records - The Henry Ford
There is not a detailed record for your US built 1963 Ford.
It is too bad the P code special pieces are missing. A two door P code Galaxie is not common.

The transmission would have a tag
And not sure if a build sheet was used that far back. If yes it could be in the seats, under carpet or behind the kick panels.

Action

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason Marti does not have data on vehicles prior to 1967 is because of a fire. Kevin Marti bought all of the documents Ford was willing to sell after they had that fire in 1970 in a records room in a Museum. Ford Vehicle Production Records - The Henry Ford
There is not a detailed record for your US built 1963 Ford.
It is too bad the P code special pieces are missing. A two door P code Galaxie is not common.

The transmission would have a tag
And not sure if a build sheet was used that far back. If yes it could be in the seats, under carpet or behind the kick panels.

Action
I will be looking at the transmission once i get the car on stands, no kick panels, back seat nothing havent checked under front seats but I am sure not there either.
No glove box carboard. no carpet its raw floorboards carpet probably got wet which caused some of the rust on the floor pans.
Also see the factory pins in the rear fender wells for "skirts" this car was pretty loaded when new..
Also had windshield washer pump and original water bag in tact..

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
You are describing a pretty nice car (and kind of low production car for a high production series like Galaxie) that was not well maintained. Which is a bit sad. To bring it back to original might set you back the same amount as retail.

There are some date codes on pieces you are missing. If the rear axle tag or transmission tag are still there, it will be a good clue. I would expect a build date somewhere in the Jan 63 to June 63 time frame for your 500 XL sports hardtop

Good luck to you.
If there is anything we (I) can do please post back.

If you are going for a racing clone, paint it Corinthian White find a red vinyl interior. (Not red cloth and vinyl)
Because the Galaxie line was so heavy, the factory modified the racing version to remove the hood springs, heater, trunk lining and mat, spare wheel and tire (and mounting bracket), trunk lid torsion bar, jack, lug wrench, one horn (of the stock two), armrests, rear ashtrays, courtesy lights, and dome light to reduce weight

The engine for racing would have had the 406 or 427 in that mid-year change.
The PI 390 4V was more for government usage. (High-way patrol) But it was a regular production option (RPO) so anyone could order that optional engine. Most people didn't because it required more maintenance for just a little bit more HP. The advantage of the 390 over a 406/427 was longevity. The 406/427 did not have a long service life under extreme racing. But racers expected that. A guy on the street or cops wanted something that would last longer even if it saw an occasional high speed chase or light to light competition.

The 63 XL trim was much like the attached picture. For 64 the LX had several different pieces than the same interior for non-XL. By 1964 Ford started to understand that buyers would pony up and buy the full sized luxury. Because in the following year LTD became a thing.

Action

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am going to build a Clone Fireball Roberts Galaxie one seat 12 point roll cage full interior delete' flat door skins , may remove all roll up glass and regulators no heater radio nothing on the dash full gauge cluster HM gauges just ordered. I will build my own batwing to cowl air cleaner.
My last build was pretty close to period looking interior..one seat 4 point airplane seat belt..
The fun stuff is the research and getting it to look good but a street Stock car that could be returned to stock if I ever decided to..
My last build was bare bones..
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Steering wheel
Hood Motor vehicle Window Automotive design Automotive lighting

1 - 8 of 8 Posts