Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just bought a 2000 windstar to replace my 91 accord. (Ma's got another one in the oven). I'm used to doing my own maintenance but this minivan is a bit intimidating. I had ford do a full inspection but they were a bit pricey so I would like to take care of a few items on my own. My first challenge is replacing broken runner clips in the intake. The clips are cheap from what they tell me but it's over 200 bucks labor to put them in. Right now I don't even know what they look like or where they go in they intake. On a side note, the rear spark plugs look like a bear also. What have I gotten myself in to?:mad2:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Welcome to the site! Someone will be around to help sooner or later. I can tell you the back spark plugs are alot easier after you take the cowl off, Poppy I think did a writeup on this, look around, the search function works pretty good. Intake runner clips? that's a new one on me. The upper intake comes off with about ten bolts, just don't overtighten them. You could probably take care of that while the cowl is off for the plugs. Rich

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures of my '98 3.8.

Someone did a nice write up of removing the intake manifold with a bunch of pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Here's another picture. THere are two IMRCs both on the passenger side, near the top of the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
Poppy,

That was very helpful of you.

Although, I think Jocohow is referring to the clips for the IMRC linkage rods to the runner shafts.

Looking at the attached picture, you can see the rods, where they are attached there is a plastic bushing holding the rod. These plastic clips tend to break; if they break, the rod could fall off and that would create a code.

I too recalled D.Acker's IMRC thread but remembered it was for the gasket and isolator bolts, but not the clips.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Great post missy!

Yep you are right. All that stuff doesn't need to be removed to get to the runners. I hope I didn't confuse things by adding that post. :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Thank you Poppy.
I hope I didn't confuse things by adding that post. :)
I don't think it confuses at all.

Jocohow is the proud new owner of a Windstar, at this rate you, me and D.Acker will have all the information he will ever need to know about his Windstar contained in just this one thread..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
248 Posts
There are 4 clips that need to be replaced. The part number is F5RZ9F955AB and they run about 7.35 each. You might need to unbolt the actuators, (two of them) and rotate them to disengage the arms, but this will only take you about half an hour to replace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a ford windstar about 6 months ago and it has been great to me. I did have to do some work on it as I had some codes and in the end had to replace the isolater bolts within the intake manifold. Your in good hands around here. In the end its really easy to take the cowl off and that makes doing the spark plugs / wires really easy too.

Good luck with your windstar and congrats on the kid in the oven, i'v got two myself

1 - 13 of 13 Posts