Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1997, 2.3L Ranger w/130k miles
I changed the timing belt over the weekend with little problem(thanks to great sites online), except when removing the crankshaft bolt I happened to break the plastic rear half of the timing belt cover.

To get the truck back on the road I ditched the cover and transferred the timing marks from the rear cover to the engine block, and I've put everything back together w/o the rear or front timing belt cover.

I turned the engine last night and it started right up, but with a very distinct "ticking" sound. I shut it off again right away and of course assume I have one of the pulleys a notch or two in the wrong direction.

The question now is; which direction should I first start adjusting/shifting the pulleys one belt notch at a time?

I assume the oil pump pulley position is not as critical as the orientation between the crankshaft and camshaft pulleys; so should I only adjust the SOHCamshaft a notch at a time in either direction?

Also, did that "ticking" sound while I ran my engine mean I completely ruined my valves? I sure hope not, I really can't afford it.

Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yep, the oil pump is not timed.
Does it run OK besides the tick?
If so, the timing may be OK, the tick may be valve lash.

Here's a picture of the timing mark (#1)
Notice it's almost (one tooth) directly inline with the centers of the crank and cam
You should be able to check it with a straight edge.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I own a 1997, 2.3L Ranger w/130k miles
I changed the timing belt over the weekend with little problem(thanks to great sites online), except when removing the crankshaft bolt I happened to break the plastic rear half of the timing belt cover.

To get the truck back on the road I ditched the cover and transferred the timing marks from the rear cover to the engine block, and I've put everything back together w/o the rear or front timing belt cover.

I turned the engine last night and it started right up, but with a very distinct "ticking" sound. I shut it off again right away and of course assume I have one of the pulleys a notch or two in the wrong direction.

The question now is; which direction should I first start adjusting/shifting the pulleys one belt notch at a time?

I assume the oil pump pulley position is not as critical as the orientation between the crankshaft and camshaft pulleys; so should I only adjust the SOHCamshaft a notch at a time in either direction?

Also, did that "ticking" sound while I ran my engine mean I completely ruined my valves? I sure hope not, I really can't afford it.

Thanks, Joe

There should also be a mark on the crank gear itself so you can do it without the crank pully.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
since it's a hydraulic system, the lash should just reset itself... is it possible the tick is coming from the outside of the engine?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts