Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Ford vans and am active on the vans page. I'm here (hello everyone) 'cos I just picked up a 2006 F350 6.0L diesel Super Duty 4x4 (no bed) with 98,000 miles from the local Search and Rescue. I was told it had issues - paid $3,100 for it.

S&R said it was over-heating and that diesel was leaking into the coolant (suspected head gasket blown) and that it needed regular filling with water.

I drove it 120 miles home at 55 mph in warm weather at 3-4K ft. altitude. For safety I kept the heater on. I had no over heating and the truck seemed powerful and responsive. The "Turbo psi" read almost zero at all times. No lights save a green circle next to the gas gauge.

Never had a turbo before, nor a diesel so what's going on. I'm glad to be here with this sub-forum

·
Super Moderator
15,072 Posts
Boost pressure comes on with a load.
You may have issue with the turbo, but the way it is equipped and the drive you made, there really wasn't any load .
(NO bed, no trailer, not many people in the vehicle and highway speeds)
Kind of the lowest load situation possible

98,000 miles on 15 year old F Series for $3100, sounds like a good deal to me!

Action

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Action: I think you convinced me on the power boost - the blue boots are new and in good shape, but The head gasket is gone I fear. It's pushing coolant (yellow and smelling like paint thinner so likely glycol and diesel mix?) out of the level tank. If the quote to fix is too high is there any merit whatsoever in the "head gasket sealants" the snake oil guys sell? It's a dually by the way.

·
Super Moderator
15,072 Posts
. If the quote to fix is too high is there any merit whatsoever in the "head gasket sealants" the snake oil guys sell? It's a dually by the way.
Not on a diesel.

Action

·
Super Moderator
15,072 Posts
Would it be worth it to spend another $2000?

Action

·
Registered
579 Posts
Reactions: Dominick 1

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was expecting to spend 2-3k to get it running but i hear so many bad things that need aftermarket upgrades. i think the erg issues were addresses before and likely led to the head gasket failure

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was expecting to spend 2-3k to get it running but i hear so many bad things that need aftermarket upgrades. i think the erg issues were addresses before and likely led to the head gasket failure
UPDATE:
I nw after reading think it is not necessarily the head gasket but a cracked head OR (better news) a cracked injector cup, so I'm stripping it down myself to diagnose. Local shop wants $6500 so this seems prudent.

·
Super Moderator
15,072 Posts
It would be interesting to see pictures of the process

Action

1 - 10 of 10 Posts