Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Old TSB for dipstick has been superceded by TSB 10-10-01: View attachment 734
Hopefully the dip stick is one piece as opposed to the one on my escape.
It is two lengths riveted together with a small piece of metal and two very small rivets.
I shudder to think what those rivets or 3/8 " piece of metal would do inside the transmission if they ever let go .:incazzato:
I'm now wondering what dip sticks and which tubes are compatible . There must be at least 3 dipstick versions , and at least 2 , maybe 3 tube versions .
Anyone know if the very first tube had the return vent tube to the transmission ? I sure would like to get a one piece dipstick if it's compatible with mine .:confused:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hopefully the dip stick is one piece as opposed to the one on my escape.
It is two lengths riveted together with a small piece of metal and two very small rivets.
I shudder to think what those rivets or 3/8 " piece of metal would do inside the transmission if they ever let go .:incazzato:
I'm now wondering what dip sticks and which tubes are compatible . There must be at least 3 dipstick versions , and at least 2 , maybe 3 tube versions .
Anyone know if the very first tube had the return vent tube to the transmission ? I sure would like to get a one piece dipstick if it's compatible with mine .:confused:
I didn't look at the TSB again but doesn't it say that it must be installed with the new tube that comes with it?

Do any of them have a overflow hose from the fill tube going back to the case? What kind of overflow device is that? The ATF should never be high enough to come up the tube and out that overflow hose. If it ever does, it's foam, it too late and your tranny is cooked. That's what happened during the flat towing problem.

They are just trying to make it idiot proof.

Can't comment on how it's made but whatever is the cheapest come to mind!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I didn't look at the TSB again but doesn't it say that it must be installed with the new tube that comes with it?

Do any of them have a overflow hose from the fill tube going back to the case? What kind of overflow device is that? The ATF should never be high enough to come up the tube and out that overflow hose. If it ever does, it's foam, it too late and your tranny is cooked. That's what happened during the flat towing problem.

It does say they have to be installed together . My dipstick tube has a overflow (I guess I should call it a vent tube )near the top that runs to the top of the transmission case. I'm not sure the first production did and maybe that's why the new tube/stick combo. If that new stick is one piece and will fit mine I would be temped to get one . I just don't want to replace the tube as well , especially wile it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does say they have to be installed together . My dipstick tube has a overflow (I guess I should call it a vent tube )near the top that runs to the top of the transmission case. I'm not sure the first production did and maybe that's why the new tube/stick combo. If that new stick is one piece and will fit mine I would be temped to get one . I just don't want to replace the tube as well , especially wile it's still under warranty.
Okay, without looking at mine, I seem to remember that there is a hose that runs back to the case but there is also a short open one curved pointing down.

The new dipstick "might" fit the old tube but not read correctly. Since this TSB isn't actually a mechanical, electrical, etc., I just wonder how one would get a dealer to perform it? It's not like they have to verify an issue!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Okay, without looking at mine, I seem to remember that there is a hose that runs back to the case but there is also a short open one curved pointing down.

The new dipstick "might" fit the old tube but not read correctly. Since this TSB isn't actually a mechanical, electrical, etc., I just wonder how one would get a dealer to perform it? It's not like they have to verify an issue!
Mine just has the one pointing down and it's got the hose on it . If I thought it would fit and read correctly I might just buy it , I don't think one could persuade a dealer to do it . :ihih:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine just has the one pointing down and it's got the hose on it . If I thought it would fit and read correctly I might just buy it , I don't think one could persuade a dealer to do it . :ihih:
Well, so much for my memory! Mine has one from the top of the fill tube that goes back to the case, an overflow. The other one with the pointing down turn is just attached to the fill tube, a vent for the case.

·
Registered
41 Posts

FWIW I had this TSB done with the "new" dipstick & tube

It does have a hose going back to the case....and that would be the "new" DS case, 1/2 shaft and seal TSB I also had done. Stick top fits snug on tube with "O" ring. Measureing part is plastic with add/full lines

·
Registered
158 Posts
Has anyone had their dealer replace the dipstick even though you weren't having any transmission fluid problems? Just wondering if the dealer will push back on replacing it if you don't have a problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Has anyone had their dealer replace the dipstick even though you weren't having any transmission fluid problems? Just wondering if the dealer will push back on replacing it if you don't have a problem.
FWIW i was not having "fluid problems"....I had the DS 1/2 shaft leak that a TSB was out on. I also showed the dealer the TSB for the dipstick replace for "leaking fluid" but I did not have a leak there. They did say they would do the dipstick. Ironically after the case & 1/2 shaft repair the tranny leaked from the "old/original" tube. since the "new" one was back ordered they put my old one back in and said they would replace it in a week when the new one came it. I see on the replacement they used RTV to seal where it goes into the tranny case.

My understanding is a TSB is a tool service dealers use to address associated problem...not a mandate to replace on every car

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My understanding is a TSB is a tool service dealers use to address associated problem...not a mandate to replace on every car
Yes, it's hard sometimes to get them to do a TSB without verifing a problem, harder yet if it involves parts.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I see on the replacement they used RTV to seal where it goes into the tranny case.

I would think there should be an o ring that seals it .

·
Registered
532 Posts
I would bet fifty bucks it has an o ring on it . I wouldn't think RTV on something like that would be very effective or appropriate . I wonder if the only vent on the transmission is the one tied back to the filler tube ?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would bet fifty bucks it has an o ring on it . I wouldn't think RTV on something like that would be very effective or appropriate . I wonder if the only vent on the transmission is the one tied back to the filler tube ?
In a non-automotive application, any gearbox would have a breather vent to prevent air pressure build from churning oil and possibly blowing of seals.

RTV sticks to a "O" ring like cement. I've seen a 3/8" thick aluminum cover bend when RTV was used while trying to pry it up.

If they got a good bond with that RTV, they just might destroy the filler tube the next time somebody tries to remove it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
My experience has been RTV doesn't bond to rubber well if at at all . RTV is silicone based and blended to adhere and fill voids in clean and dry metal and plastics .

The likelihood of acheiving a good bond on the tube and transmission in that application isn't good . And as you alluded wouldn't be a good idea . O-rings are used for very good reasons and are usually very cheap , plentiful and easy to use .

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My experience has been RTV doesn't bond to rubber well if at at all . RTV is silicone based and blended to adhere and fill voids in clean and dry metal and plastics .

The likelihood of acheiving a good bond on the tube and transmission in that application isn't good . And as you alluded wouldn't be a good idea . O-rings are used for very good reasons and are usually very cheap , plentiful and easy to use .
Well, there are several different types of "O" rings depending o what they are made of. Here's a good chart: http://www.sisweb.com/vacuum/o-rings/oring.htm.

I used RTV to patch a hole worn on a boot made of neoprene that protected one of two guide bars on a I.D. grinding machine and it held up for years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts