Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1963 Falcon Futura convertible v8 4 on the floor
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Just joined the forum. Daniel, almost 50, I have a stock 1963 Futura convertible. She's ming green, have the matching number 260Ci and 4 speed on the floor.
Never been molested as she was a one owner, family car until I bought her 5 years ago.
It is my daily driver in summer. I have redone (myself...) the whole interior, the gearbox and a few other items.
Will keep you posted, I have loads of questions!
Dani

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Pictures are always welcome.

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
37 Posts
Hi guys,
Just joined the forum. Daniel, almost 50, I have a stock 1963 Futura convertible. She's ming green, have the matching number 260Ci and 4 speed on the floor.
Never been molested as she was a one owner, family car until I bought her 5 years ago.
It is my daily driver in summer. I have redone (myself...) the whole interior, the gearbox and a few other items.
Will keep you posted, I have loads of questions!
Dani
Welcome here, what a cool ride. Hope to see a few photos of it....😎

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys,

Finally, I take the time to give you an update and post some pics…

I actually bought this falcon in April 2016 in Pleasanton, CA. It was in a showroom. This is a one family car, which spent its whole life in Danville, CA.
Built on June the 1th, 1963; to my knowledge, one of the first fitted with the 260Ci V8, 4 on floor.

As you can see, the car was 100% original, with just a clear coat, which was done long ago. So, basically no rust, but in need of some well-deserved care.
The last few years, the car was parked in a barn and a squirrel family called it home, nesting in the back of the seats and under the dash! I had to remove 4Lbs of poo and rooted nuts. So, she’s not the best looking car with a smashed interior and a lot’s of dents on the body.

Car in the showroom, the day I bought her.

Only surface rust on that rear left corner...

Yeap, not nice but matching numbers...

The owners did some maintenance before putting her for sale; new brakes, new shocks and a rebuilt carburetor.

When I took over, my first move was to redo the interior; I completely removed the seats, carpet and the side panels. I ordered new parts, sanded the surface rust, applied rust protection, sound and heat damping, fitted the new carpet and the seats; I added new seatbelt matching the color (aqua) and removed the ugly radio which was anyway not working.

I already did a lot in that car:
  • New turn signal kit.
  • Changed a lot of rubber (bushings)
  • Completely rebuilt the gearbox (Borg Warner T10)
  • New gas tank and pump.
  • New radiator and water pump.
  • A new original looking FM radio (you can’t tell it’s not original…)
  • And now, the whole front end, tie rods, control arms, sway bar bushings.
I want to keep her stock. So my plans are to rebuild the 260 and a new paint, plus some minor other items, like a new carb and a (stock looking) electronic ignition.
I will post more pics of what I did at a later stage.

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
37 Posts
Guys,

Finally, I take the time to give you an update and post some pics…

I actually bought this falcon in April 2016 in Pleasanton, CA. It was in a showroom. This is a one family car, which spent its whole life in Danville, CA.
Built on June the 1th, 1963; to my knowledge, one of the first fitted with the 260Ci V8, 4 on floor.

As you can see, the car was 100% original, with just a clear coat, which was done long ago. So, basically no rust, but in need of some well-deserved care.
The last few years, the car was parked in a barn and a squirrel family called it home, nesting in the back of the seats and under the dash! I had to remove 4Lbs of poo and rooted nuts. So, she’s not the best looking car with a smashed interior and a lot’s of dents on the body.

Car in the showroom, the day I bought her.
View attachment 47566

Only surface rust on that rear left corner...
View attachment 47567

View attachment 47568

View attachment 47569

View attachment 47570

Yeap, not nice but matching numbers...
View attachment 47571

The owners did some maintenance before putting her for sale; new brakes, new shocks and a rebuilt carburetor.

When I took over, my first move was to redo the interior; I completely removed the seats, carpet and the side panels. I ordered new parts, sanded the surface rust, applied rust protection, sound and heat damping, fitted the new carpet and the seats; I added new seatbelt matching the color (aqua) and removed the ugly radio which was anyway not working.

I already did a lot in that car:
  • New turn signal kit.
  • Changed a lot of rubber (bushings)
  • Completely rebuilt the gearbox (Borg Warner T10)
  • New gas tank and pump.
  • New radiator and water pump.
  • A new original looking FM radio (you can’t tell it’s not original…)
  • And now, the whole front end, tie rods, control arms, sway bar bushings.
I want to keep her stock. So my plans are to rebuild the 260 and a new paint, plus some minor other items, like a new carb and a (stock looking) electronic ignition.
I will post more pics of what I did at a later stage.
Very nice. What about the fabric top, what condition is it in. Are you driving it now? Do you know which ford assembly plant yours was built in?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice. What about the fabric top, what condition is it in. Are you driving it now? Do you know which ford assembly plant yours was built in?

The white top is in a good condition, not perfect but decent for its age. I had to replace the 7 pieces of weather seals.
In winter I keep it inside, but in summer, this is my daily driver.
She's out of Lorain, OH and built on June the 20th not the 1th as I mentioned before.

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
37 Posts
The white top is in a good condition, not perfect but decent for its age. I had to replace the 7 pieces of weather seals.
In winter I keep it inside, but in summer, this is my daily driver.
She's out of Lorain, OH and built on June the 20th not the 1th as I mentioned before.
That’s cool. How’d you learn her birthday???
And when you say of the engine, matching numbers, what does that mean and how did you determine this?

·
Super Moderator
14,181 Posts
The "birthday" is a code on the warranty data plate riveted to the driver's door jamb.

Same for the rest of the "numbers", the numbers are parts of the serial number or codes from the warranty data plate.

Decades ago, it was common for auto manufactures to stamp serial numbers into engine blocks, frames and larger assemblies. From this data one could determine if an engine or some larger assembly had been replaced. Long ago Ford stopped this practice (with some exceptions) because it was labor consuming so added costs occurred with no benefit.

Government mandates occurred in the 1980s that required certain sheet metal to have VIN on them. A theft deterrent.
And Ford has used date coding with other data for many parts because that helped with warranty claims and lawsuits. Or for changing production designs at a later point

My understanding is GM did a lot more of serial number marking on vehicles than Ford ever did

Action

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The "birthday" is a code on the warranty data plate riveted to the driver's door jamb.

Same for the rest of the "numbers", the numbers are parts of the serial number or codes from the warranty data plate.

Decades ago, it was common for auto manufactures to stamp serial numbers into engine blocks, frames and larger assemblies. From this data one could determine if an engine or some larger assembly had been replaced. Long ago Ford stopped this practice (with some exceptions) because it was labor consuming so added costs occurred with no benefit.

Government mandates occurred in the 1980s that required certain sheet metal to have VIN on them. A theft deterrent.
And Ford has used date coding with other data for many parts because that helped with warranty claims and lawsuits. Or for changing production designs at a later point

My understanding is GM did a lot more of serial number marking on vehicles than Ford ever did

Action
Thank you Action for stepping in...
Almost all the parts on my car are stamped with "codes" which as Action stated, reveals for what car on which date they were produced.
On the engine block, the manufacture date matches with the rest of the car. Same with the gearbox.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Small question: while removing the original upper control arms on my63, there was quite a good amount of shims on the front bolts and only a few on the rear one; both sides the same. Am I the only one? Reason for that?
Could you check on yours? Thank's!

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
37 Posts
Small question: while removing the original upper control arms on my63, there was quite a good amount of shims on the front bolts and only a few on the rear one; both sides the same. Am I the only one? Reason for that? View attachment 47593 Could you check on yours? Thank's!
Did you paint your Falcon red in the meantime.....🤣

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
strut rods arn't usually adjustable
I will check on my Falcon, as they are adjustable by turning the 2 front nuts/bushings. According the shop manual, I should have 17" 5/8 from the rear of the washer to the center of the front bolt. But that is for the I6, not sure if applicable on the V8...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am now waiting for my alignment tool; I've just ordered a Fastrack 91000.
The front end looks great now with all new upper and lower arms, bushings, tie-rods and new bearings and seals.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts