Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else on here switched to running Nitrogen in their tires?

I've had it in the wifes '99 4X2 Expd. and we really love it. :thumbsup:

I heard it's even better in the newer SUV's with the tire pressure monitorting sensors too....

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Not really.It's about $45.00 extra around here.I would rather have my dead ass girlfriend breathe into them.Dead air is dead air. LOL

·
Registered
649 Posts
What are the benefits? Seems like it would be extra $$$ with not a good payoff? But then again, I have not really researched the topic so please educate me! :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
I wouldn't waste the $$. It's a tire company gimmick that came from racing....soooo, If you are racing your car and get the tires really hot then there may be an advantage. Nitrogen is drier than oxygen so it doesn't expand as much.
Also, nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen so leakage is held back also.

Anybody care to guess what the atmosphere is made of??
78% nitrogen,
21% oxygen,
0.9% argon, and
0.03% carbon dioxide with very small percentages of other elements.
& water vapor.

So what are ya paying for, an extra 22% Nitrogen?? Well, maybe not, they do not pull a vacuum on the tire before installing the Nitrogen??

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have been using nitrogen for about 2 years. I can tell you that the tire pressure is much more stable. It was common to have to add air 2 -3 times a year. Slightly worse in the winter months. When the local Costco changed over to nitrogen a couple years ago, that was my first experience with it. Tire pressure stayed up all year. One by one, I converted "the fleet" to nitro. Same result. Tire pressure loss was much reduced if not eliminated. So I am convinced that the leakage is reduced overall. Air is cheap, so not a savings there...unless one is able to factor in gas mileage increases with properly inflated tires. I'll leave that one to the bean counters.

The tire store owners will tell you that sometimes rust will corrode the inside of a steel wheel due to moisture that comes in with compressed air. I don't have first hand experience with that. Others may.

If inflated "properly" with nitrogen, the tire would be filled, then purged, then refilled again so as to expel most of the oxygen. This second filling is reported to be more than 95% nitrogen, depending on the method. But not 100%, no matter what.

Since the stated inflation pressure of a vehicle tire is the cold pressure, it is assumed that the tire pressure will rise when warmed up. Since nitrogen does not exhibit the same expansion characteristics, it stays pretty much where you put it. So to offset that, nitrogen filled tires are set to "spec +2". Sometimes +3. I learned this from a tire shop I deal with regularly.

And yes, he did charge me $45.00 once to "convert" a vehicle. But never again. I worked out my own solution..... :yesnod:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I like the solution:).Kind of pricey for the everyday driver.:eek6:

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Your project looks like a nice how-to article.

I have been using nitrogen for about 2 years. I can tell you that the tire pressure is much more stable. It was common to have to add air 2 -3 times a year. Slightly worse in the winter months. When the local Costco changed over to nitrogen a couple years ago, that was my first experience with it. Tire pressure stayed up all year. One by one, I converted "the fleet" to nitro. Same result. Tire pressure loss was much reduced if not eliminated. So I am convinced that the leakage is reduced overall. Air is cheap, so not a savings there...unless one is able to factor in gas mileage increases with properly inflated tires. I'll leave that one to the bean counters.

The tire store owners will tell you that sometimes rust will corrode the inside of a steel wheel due to moisture that comes in with compressed air. I don't have first hand experience with that. Others may.

If inflated "properly" with nitrogen, the tire would be filled, then purged, then refilled again so as to expel most of the oxygen. This second filling is reported to be more than 95% nitrogen, depending on the method. But not 100%, no matter what.

Since the stated inflation pressure of a vehicle tire is the cold pressure, it is assumed that the tire pressure will rise when warmed up. Since nitrogen does not exhibit the same expansion characteristics, it stays pretty much where you put it. So to offset that, nitrogen filled tires are set to "spec +2". Sometimes +3. I learned this from a tire shop I deal with regularly.

And yes, he did charge me $45.00 once to "convert" a vehicle. But never again. I worked out my own solution..... :yesnod:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As noted above, the nitrogen air inside the tire will contain less moisture. This is better for vehicles with tire/wheel monitoring sensors; Less moisture means less corrosion & better sensor life and signal output.

I've also noticed less leakage in all our vehicles at home now converted to the new Nitrogen air. The pressures are always "right on". My personal truck even felt different driving it several 100 miles on nitrogen. I'm a pretty aggressive driver, and don't really know how to explain this 'feeling'....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Had it done to both my rides, 04 SuperCrew Lariet and 98 Explorer Limited (5.0L) and it has picked up the fuel economy about 1 mpg on both. Course, I didn't have to pay for the stuff, as I bought my tires here and they do that for free when you purchase tires and I work at the dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used nitrogen in my gt tires most of the benifits have been explained.
O2 is corosive it hurts your wheels and tires.
You end up saving money by having properly inflated tires both by improved gas milage and less tire wear.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My assessment is, If it is free take it, otherwise forget it.......... Come to think of it that is my assessment of pretty much everything!:yesnod:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
wal-mart near my house just put it in mine free of charge. that was 5 years ago, and i've NEVER had to add air to them since. that's 5 Wisconsin winters and summers...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have been using nitro for a couple of years now an have noticed a considerable difference with aluminum rims. The aluminum seems to allow air to escape around the bead. The nitrogen seems to slow that down and tire pressure stays constant longer. I had it done at Costco for no extra charge.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i have steel rims, so no leakage...

·
Registered
104 Posts
We use Nitrogen in our aircraft tires, C-130, C-17, C-5....... Not sure about the commercial airliners but I think they would use it as well considering the benefits and the fact that the tires cost thousands of $ a piece.

It sounds nice to have, but I don't see me having tires for 5 years. They usually make it through a year or two of my driving.

I'm not going to waste money when I can get it for free. If they're offering nitrogen for no charge, go ahead and fill em up!

·
Registered
133 Posts
We use Nitrogen in our aircraft tires, C-130, C-17, C-5....... Not sure about the commercial airliners but I think they would use it as well considering the benefits and the fact that the tires cost thousands of $ a piece.

It sounds nice to have, but I don't see me having tires for 5 years. They usually make it through a year or two of my driving.

I'm not going to waste money when I can get it for free. If they're offering nitrogen for no charge, go ahead and fill em up!
Nitrogen is very much used in commercial aviation.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgad.nsf/0/55850E6389EFBA3C8625695B006723A3?OpenDocument&Highlight=87-08-09

AERO : Wheel and Tire Servicing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts