Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone around here seems to be promoting Nitrogen in tires. What are the benifits and does it really make that much of a difference? Enquiring minds want to know.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Jimbo ya beat me to it lol:lol:

·
Registered
944 Posts
Good to see your name NC.
Keep us posted on your Nitrogen thoughts.
As you can see, (from the link) we have different opinions and would like your input!

·
Registered
104 Posts
We use Nitrogen in our aircraft tires, C-130, C-17, C-5....... Not sure about the commercial airliners but I think they would use it as well considering the benefits and the fact that the tires cost thousands of $ a piece.

It sounds nice to have, but I don't see me having tires for 5 years. They usually make it through a year or two of my driving.

I'm not going to waste money when I can get it for free. If they're offering nitrogen for no charge, go ahead and fill em up!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nitrogen = $45.00
Compressor air = Free - .75

Sounds like a no brainer to me..
It'll take untold years for that sensor to possibly go out. Sounds like a money making gimmick by the tire MFR's... But to each their own.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Out of curiosity I searched for a little more info on this process. I found this article.

The Straight Dope: Is it better to fill your tires with nitrogen instead of air?

It basically say's there is no true benefit for the average consumer if they have to pay for a conversion. If it's offered for free with new tire installation. There's no harm in having it done.

This was pretty much my train of thought when I read this thread. I'm also sure there are articles describing the benefits to the average consumer. So take it all for what it's worth. Make your own decision.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Out of curiosity I searched for a little more info on this process. I found this article.

The Straight Dope: Is it better to fill your tires with nitrogen instead of air?

It basically say's there is no true benefit for the average consumer if they have to pay for a conversion. If it's offered for free with new tire installation. There's no harm in having it done.

This was pretty much my train of thought when I read this thread. I'm also sure there are articles describing the benefits to the average consumer. So take it all for what it's worth. Make your own decision.
That's kinda what I thought too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
id like to try heilum, then my car would be lighter and do better on fuel. but serioisly, i think the advantage of nitrogen is that its heavier and takes longer to leak out of a tire than just atmosphereic air. of course you could also go with acetolyn, and have a really huge fire if you were to crash and burn.

·
Registered
184 Posts
the molecules are larger so they don't leak out as easy..... but you never get 100% nitrogen in the tire.... its not like you can put a vacuum on it

·
Registered
532 Posts
It's fine if it's done free , but i wouldn't pay extra .

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have 79% per cent nitrogen mixure in my tires. It is called air.
LOL RIOT!
This subject has been going around since I started in the automotive in the early '80s. Never made sense then, still doesn't make any now. As quoted, regular air is already 79% nitrogen so what's the difference?
Supposed to last llonger, be easier on tire wear, etc. Helium was supposed to "make the tires lighter" ---RIGHT!

Believe that one and I have a bridge in Arizona I'll sell ya!

Like many have said, if it's free, then what does it hurt. If they charge, which most do, then air is just fine! If you are servicing the car on a regular basis tire inflation shouldn't be an issue anyways. AND if you have the service done at any other place that where they put nitrogen in to begin with, they are just going to use compressed air. So why pay for something that is in most cases free!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Nitrogen is used in aircraft because of its lack of reaction to the change in pressure and temperature with the change in altitude, e.g. teperature drops about 3 degrees F for every 1000 feet (300+ meters) and atmospheric pressure drops as well. It may be of some benefit at extreme ends of the earth, but other than that I've never heard of any discernable benefit at normal altitudes (say seal level to 10,000 feet). Save your money and use compressed air with a moisture trap (no water).
Added notes: The tire industry standard is to expect a 3 pound (PSI) loss in pressure per month. At a minimum pressure should be checked and adjusted once a month. More often is better. The tire industry standard is a life expectancy of 6 years, that is the rubber compound starts to break down in six years and the tire become unsafe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As mentioned, nitrogen molecules are larger than air molecules so they don't seep out through the pores in the rubber the way air does. Nitrogen is also much drier than air. Tires deteriorate internally due to moisture. Wheels can rust due to the moisture. Nitrogen inflated tires will remain stable for at least 6 months. Air inflated tires are monthly maintenance. I ran nitrogen in my cargo van and got well over 100k miles with 6/32 still remaining. For me it's worth it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts