Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 Taurus, I tried the cruise at around 40-45 mph and the light came on and it worked fine. Tried to use cruise yesterday at 70 mph and no light in the dash and no cruise. Tried it numerous times and nothing. Under the hood there doesn't seem to be any vacuum lines its all elect. and mechanical. Any ideas?

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you have access to a scanner it can be scanned for codes or....

Try this self test:

WARNING: THIS TEST IS A KEY ON ENGINE OFF (KOEO) TEST ONLY THAT IS CONDUCTED IN PARK ONLY WITH EMERGENCY BRAKE FULLY ENGAGED. NOTE, if you do not use your e-brake periodically this may cause the it to hang-up. All you need to do is one or tow clicks until the brake light appears on the dash.

Enter Self-Test Diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, ensuring engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument panel will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control servo. Release the OFF switch.

Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST, and SET/ACCEL.

IF ON, RESUME, COAST, AND SET/ACCEL SWITCHES ARE NOT DEPRESSED WITHIN 5 SECONDS AFTER ENTERING THE DIAGNOSTICS MODE, THE MODULE TIMES OUT AND THE PROCEDURE MUST BE STARTED OVER.

The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.

A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the STATIC test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective.

If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:

• 2 Flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied.
  • 3 Flashes - Deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.
  • 4 Flashes - Vehicle speed out of range.
Immediately after the static test has passed, the speed control servo will then perform a dynamic test automatically by actuating the throttle lever from 1 mm to 10 mm of travel from the idle position. During the dynamic throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of actuator cable, proper connection of actuator cable to throttle lever, and ensure throttle returns back to idle position. If improper connection and/or binding or sticking of actuator is observed, go to Symptom Chart.

Return ignition switch to the OFF position and proceed to Symptom Chart.

Reactions: JustinOK

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried cuda jim's test and it passed, only thing missing is I don't get a parking brake applied light on the dash. Rear brakes light are ok. Does that parking brake dash light have an effect on the cruise control?

·
Registered
798 Posts
The e-brake is more than likely a safety warning since it passed the self test. The next step is to have it scanned for codes with a good scanner and a pro to read it.
Free scans ie. at Autozone, are not sophisticated enough to pull "B" codes.

·
Registered
659 Posts
only thing missing is I don't get a parking brake applied light on the dash. Does that parking brake dash light have an effect on the cruise control?
Did you check your fuses? FUSE 28 15A Speed Control, Brake Lamp.

·
Registered
623 Posts
This vehicle has a ratcheting deactivator switch by the brake pedal under the dash.I would reset this switch by extending the plunger and leting the brake pedal adjust it.
Remove the switch extend plunger install with the brake pedal applied and then release pedal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does it still work @ 40-45mph?

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you have access to a scanner it can be scanned for codes or....

Try this self test:

WARNING: THIS TEST IS A KEY ON ENGINE OFF (KOEO) TEST ONLY THAT IS CONDUCTED IN PARK ONLY WITH EMERGENCY BRAKE FULLY ENGAGED. NOTE, if you do not use your e-brake periodically this may cause the it to hang-up. All you need to do is one or tow clicks until the brake light appears on the dash.

Enter Self-Test Diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, ensuring engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument panel will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control servo. Release the OFF switch.

Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST, and SET/ACCEL.

IF ON, RESUME, COAST, AND SET/ACCEL SWITCHES ARE NOT DEPRESSED WITHIN 5 SECONDS AFTER ENTERING THE DIAGNOSTICS MODE, THE MODULE TIMES OUT AND THE PROCEDURE MUST BE STARTED OVER.

The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.

A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the STATIC test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective.

If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:

• 2 Flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied.
  • 3 Flashes - Deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.
  • 4 Flashes - Vehicle speed out of range.
Immediately after the static test has passed, the speed control servo will then perform a dynamic test automatically by actuating the throttle lever from 1 mm to 10 mm of travel from the idle position. During the dynamic throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of actuator cable, proper connection of actuator cable to throttle lever, and ensure throttle returns back to idle position. If improper connection and/or binding or sticking of actuator is observed, go to Symptom Chart.

Return ignition switch to the OFF position and proceed to Symptom Chart.
Good info, thanks for sharing. Don't think I came across this in my book when I was trouble shooting my cruise control problem. I have heard of a static cruise control test before, just not on the Taurus. (BTW No issues now--I did not have the same problem as the original poster, mine was the mechanical cable kept slipping off the throttle body--got a new cable and all is good)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts