Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any problem with the cap less gas filler ? I would feel better about it if the access panel locked from inside . I admit it's handy not to deal with a cap . I did see where Ford makes a locking cap that will fit the filler tube .

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree I wish it locked. I don't care so much about siphoning as it may prevent kids putting sugar or crap in the tank. It won't prevent someone intent on doing that but a lock can help deter.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Four out of five of our cars do not have a locking gas cap; we never had a problem.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Four out of five of our cars do not have a locking gas cap; we never had a problem.
It's just since the new Escapes have NO gas cap at all that it concerns me that the access panel doesn't lock . At least with a cap there are two steps required to access the fuel and keep water and misc. out if the panel is left open by accident or other wise .

·
Registered
694 Posts
It's just since the new Escapes have NO gas cap at all that it concerns me that the access panel doesn't lock . At least with a cap there are two steps required to access the fuel and keep water and misc. out if the panel is left open by accident or other wise .
It was posted somewhere that you can purchase a cap that fits. Not sure if it's a dealer only item.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was posted somewhere that you can purchase a cap that fits. Not sure if it's a dealer only item.
Yep , the only one I heard of that fits is a locking one from Ford . Of course that requires an additional key . It would be much more convenient if the access panel latched and had to be released from inside with a lever . But at least a cap is available .

·
Registered
158 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yep , the only one I heard of that fits is a locking one from Ford . Of course that requires an additional key . It would be much more convenient if the access panel latched and had to be released from inside with a lever . But at least a cap is available .

I went to my local Ford dealer and purchased a locking filler plug. It fits into the filler neck and is flush with the top of opening. It does not interfere with the outside door or inside door gasket and is very easy to install and remove. Ford part number 8U5Z-9C268-B List $24.99 usd. I'm very happy with my decision to purchase it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went to my local Ford dealer and purchased a locking filler plug. It fits into the filler neck and is flush with the top of opening. It does not interfere with the outside door or inside door gasket and is very easy to install and remove. Ford part number 8U5Z-9C268-B List $24.99 usd. I'm very happy with my decision to purchase it.
Thanks for the great info. I have to fill up for the first time and I didn't like the capless design. I was able to find one honest FORD dealership part center who would honor the $24.99 price. The other 3 dealers were selling them for $35 -$50.

I just installed it and wow, what a POS plastic part with a lock. It gets the job done, but after spending $32,500 for your car shouldn't this be a free upgrade.

You can find it online for more than $24.99 with shipping so your best bet is a dealership parts center.

I got 448 miles on one tank of gas with the 2.5l XLT. Lots of stop and go traffic for me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's pretty much how my tempo is. But I have to open the glove box to get to the button every time I fill it up.

·
Registered
890 Posts
and that was in 78-83 fairmonts never came with locking gas caps. probably because they were EPA rated for 33MPG if you had the 4 banger, so it wouldn't be worth stealing the 14-16 Gallons with a full tank... not starting anything, but just saying what i've noticed

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sugar in gas tank harming engine is a myth.. Sugar needs water to dissolve. Sugar will never dissolve in gas. So if someone does place sugar in your gas tank. It will sit on the bottom of the tank. The most that can happen is your fuel filter will get clogged if by some odd chance the sugar get's past the first filter on your fuel pump.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sugar in gas tank harming engine is a myth.. Sugar needs water to dissolve. Sugar will never dissolve in gas. So if someone does place sugar in your gas tank. It will sit on the bottom of the tank. The most that can happen is your fuel filter will get clogged if by some odd chance the sugar get's past the first filter on your fuel pump.
Thanks, you learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
890 Posts
however a ping-pong ball is something that works. as your fuel pump is running, it will suck the ball down and block the inlet tube, causeing your car to stall. once you shut the car off, the ball floats to the top again. i know this because i did it to a couple of ex's cars...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I like the capless design, although I haven't had anyone siphon gas or drop ping-pong balls into the tank. I did a quick Google search on the p/n and immediately found sources for the cap for $20.

·
Registered
623 Posts
It was my understanding you needed a factory supplied adapter to put anything into the tank like fuel additive. I have not had to work on many capless systems so far so I am not sure if a regular funnel would work to get say sugar or something in the tank.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My main concern is how I WOULD siphon gas out if I needed it. If I was snowed in, and on generator power because of a power outage, I depend on my vehicle tanks to be a supply of fuel for the genny in case I run out. That's why I always fill every vehicle before a storm hits. I also have 4 5Gal cans full, but the Genny can go through 8 gallons in 14 hours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2012 Escape has the no gas cap system. Today I could not remove the nozzle from the filler after the tank was full. No matter how we moved, jiggled, pulled, it would not come out. It became clear that the little 'door' was keeping it in. After an hour or so, the gas station came up with a steel letter opener; just the right size to wiggle between the nozzle and the little door. That eventually let me release the nozzle. It turned out that the nozzle had a small gap between two pipe sections that was letting the door come out a bit. Now I'll be sure to check the nozzle first. Another case of unforeseen complications from a 'simplification.in

1 - 20 of 24 Posts