Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have an Intake Manifold Regulator Control(IMRC) unit that is leaking air & not functioning.. I look around & this little vacuum module is going for $190.00 Cheapest I found is Rock auto for $70.00 & 5 days shipping to my location.. So call me a tight wad..I really didn't want to spend that money. So I'm the curious type of person..Also have nothing to lose so I break out my golden screw driver. Now I only have pics of the end result because it didn't dawn on me to take pics until now.

What I did was take a screw driver & carefully pried the pressed metal open..

The rubber diaphragm was broken.Almost all the way off all around the end of the rubber that would seal the unit air tight. So I took some super glue & glued the rubber back together. After I let the glue completely dry. I took some blue RTV and placed it on the bottom of the rubber lip that I previously super glued.Reinserted the diaphragm in it's proper position.Then I placed some more blue RTV on the top side of the rubber lip I glued.. Reinstalled the plastic housing in the proper position & clamped shut until RTV dried.

When dried I removed from clamp & carefully began to tap the metal closed with a small hammer.

After the metal started curving back down.. I took pliers to finish closing the metal..

And now I have a functioning IMRC for the low low cost of $0.00.. :thumbsup:Of course this wouldn't work if your module is malfunctioning do to the electronics not working. This is only for a leaking diaphragm..

·
Registered
798 Posts
Good ol 'merican injinuiity. :)
I've often wonder about the insides of those puppies, glad you did showed us. You can bet I'll try it next time.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good ol 'merican injinuiity. :)
I've often wonder about the insides of those puppies, glad you did showed us. You can bet I'll try it next time.

We'll see how long this repair will continue to function.. But I can at least finish putting this engine all together & get it running again...If need be. I can replace it @ a later date...Of course with one I find @ a bone yard..Where I was going to get one. But with my luck. There was only one Windstar that had the bank #2 IMRC & when I arrived. Someone else was in the process of taking it off..:eek6:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Keep us updated on how long the repair lasts. That's an interesting fix you came up with.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well now that the van is running again. I can report on this fix..
:cornut: IT WORKS!!! :cornut: The rear runner control is working just as it's supposed to.. Maybe Robdog can put this as a how to in the windstar section..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts