Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I should post this thread in the engine/ drivetrain forum or electrical. 1999 F250 Super Duty with Triton V10. Fuse #3 in the cab which is for the cigarette lighter and OBDII blows the fuse as soon as it is inserted . I think a sensor has a short causing this, anyone have any ideas on how to find the cause?:confused: Truck hit a deer about two months ago and has some front end damage, but airbags did not deploy. Two sensors I have noticed damage: 1> Passenger Side behind front fender and headlight (Air Bag Sensor?) which is where the body damage occured, and 2> on the front of the valve cover on drivers side (both wires broken off).

·
Registered
798 Posts
If an airbag sensor was shorted you would have a warning light on the dash lit.
Remove the wire form the cigar lighter and see if the fuse stays OK.
Can you get a picture of the valve cover wires?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I'd also bet that the most likely culprit is the socket to the cigar lighter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow Up

Cigar Lighter was the culprit causing the fuse to blow. Now with the OBDII operational I pulled the following codes
P0390: Camshaft Position Sensor 'B' Circuit
P1390: Undocumented. Mentioned in a TSB for one of several codes for hard starting/ rough running.

Now I am having problems taking the connector loose on the sensor mentioned above with the broken wires. I thought it was the Camshaft Position Sensor, but what info I have found on the internet has it located in a different place.

Will be buying a Hanes Manual today if the parts store has one on the shelf.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
See if this helps you to locate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep

That is the sensor in question. I finally got the connector off, but now I am having a hard time locating a new connector to replace it. Putting a salvage yard off until the last resort, because the only decent one we have around here usually comes with a two hour wait because they stay so busy. The 'sensor' behind the passenger side front fender turns out to be the horn. Any ideas on where to locate a connector for the CPS?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
You might try Ford.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts